Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

March 18th, 2017 12:00

Dell Optiplex 9010 USFF - PCI Simple Communications Controller

I just did a fresh install of the OS an I wanted to know if I should install the following drivers:

- PCI Simple Communications Controller
- PCI Serial Port

I know it installs AMT but I don't use it because I'm a home user. If I just disable them, will they really be disabled? Will it cause problems on my pc? If yes, what would those problems be?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 18th, 2017 13:00

If you're a home user, either choice should work. I can't think of any problems that might stem from disablement.

I disabled a non-supported video device on an old E310. There were no problems.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 18th, 2017 15:00

Always include version of Windows in your posts.

The first one is part of the Intel Chipset driver which you should have installed as the first driver after loading the OS.  Without the Chipset driver, other drivers may not install or may not work.

You also need the Intel Management Engine Components.

And if you have the Sunix serial/parallel card, you need that driver too.

You can find them here for Win 10 64-bit:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

EDITED

39 Posts

The OS installed is Windows Vista Business 64-bit.

What will happen if I don't install them? Will just disabling them leave an open door?

39 Posts

Thanks for the quick response. I was a bit concerned from reading online that disabling them would affect my PC's ability to function properly.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 18th, 2017 16:00

Dell doesn't list Vista as a supported OS on this PC, so why are you even using Vista? And what drivers did you install, if any, and for what version of Windows?  (The link I gave you was for Win 10, so ignore that one.)

You need a chipset driver, no choice. You need Management Engine too.

If you don't install them, you won't have 'open door', but things won't work correctly.

Don't understand why you're so afraid to install them...???

Win 7 requires Dell System Software, but I have no idea if that's needed for Vista, or if the Win 7 version will even work with Vista.

39 Posts

March 18th, 2017 17:00

Dell does support Windows Vista. I got the drivers from the Dell website.

What exactly won't work correctly if it's disabled? I've been testing the PC for a couple of days now and everything works properly.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 18th, 2017 18:00

I think Vista missing from that list is probably just a typo.

I see Intel Chipset drivers for Vista 32/64 here.

downloads.dell.com/.../optiplex-9010.html

They can also sometimes download and install as part of initial install if connected to Internet the whole time.

I agree ... those devices may/may-not be "chipset related" as RoHe already posted.

At time of purchase ... business-class machines can be ordered with all sorts of old OS and CoA. However, that doesn't mean a Dell OEM version of a slightly newer OS won't install and auto-activate. Not sure about 9010, but I know 9020's came with Windows-7.

Yeah, Win-7 would be much better if possible.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 18th, 2017 18:00

If Vista is supported, why isn't listed as an option on the Drivers/Download page for the Optiplex 9010? And if it's not listed there, where are you finding Dell's Vista drivers?

If you look in Device Manager and things like PCI Simple Communications Controller have a ! or X next to it, then that device is not working correctly, whether you can see the effects or not.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 19th, 2017 13:00

And keep in mind that support for Vista ends in April'17 so there won't be any more security updates or non-security fixes, no more free/paid support from Microsoft, and their online Vista knowledge base articles won't be updated or corrected beyond end of next month.

So this may be a good time to install a new OS. You will have to buy a license for the new version from MS so your best bet is go to Win 10 because Win 7 support ends in 2020, while support for Win 10 goes far beyond 2020.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 19th, 2017 17:00

Windows Vista Reached End of Mainstream support in April 2012. For the OptiPlex 9010 the earliest BIOS revision A01 is June 2012. It is therefore extremely unlikely the system will have a Windows Vista Business OEM License.

It should possess a Windows 7 Pro OEM License which is valid for Windows 7 Pro (using OEM SLP) and Windows 10 Pro (using the OEM key from the COA). Windows XP OEM may have been preinstalled via downgrade rights (I believe this model is one of the last desktops that this was offered on). Windows Vista Business OEM on the other hand wasn't commonly sold using OEM Downgrade Rights.

Since Windows Vista reaches End of Extended support in a few weeks with Chrome Support, Firefox Support and IE Support all dropped. You are best to use your Windows 7 Pro OEM license to install Windows 10 Pro (or Windows 7 Pro).

39 Posts

March 19th, 2017 17:00

What I was thinking of doing was installing the drivers (which installs AMT). Then disable AMT in the BIOS.

What would be the process of disabling it in the BIOS?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 19th, 2017 18:00

You probably can't disable AMT itself in BIOS. But if the PC is shut down, and Wake on LAN is disabled in BIOS, it can't be remotely awakened.

You should also go into Windows settings and disable remote access by unchecking "Allow Users to Connect Remotely to This Computer".

No Events found!