Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 8th, 2013 16:00

Dell Precision 470 BIOS won't flash

I am trying to update the BIOS on my Dell 470 Workstation running Windows 7 64 bit from A03 to A07 and I am running into trouble and error messages. When I run the executable I get this:

Dell System WorkStation 470 BIOS Flash A07

Windows Configuration Error

An error was encountered trying to configure Windows to allow flashing, please reboot and try again. If this error re-occurs, please contact technical help.

I have rebooted, I am logged in as Domain Administrator and still it re-occurs. Any help is greatly appreciated.

22 Posts

September 12th, 2013 14:00

I finally succeeded! I ran msconfig.exe, clicked on Services Tab, checked Hide all Microsoft services, then clicked on the Disable all button. Then rebooted and was able to run the WS470A07.exe and update the BIOS from A03 to A07.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 8th, 2013 19:00

Is this a Precision 470 workstation (laptop)? Can I ask why you're flashing BIOS now, especially since A07for the Precision 470 has been around since 2006? Does any version after A03, which you have now, fix a problem you actually have? Keep in mind there's always a risk to flash BIOS which could turn your motherboard into a brick. So the best adage is "if it ain't broke, don't break it!' :emotion-5: How are you trying to run the flash, from inside Windows or after booting with DOS from a floppy drive? The instructions on the download page only mention very early versions of Windows, so the flash file may not be compatible with Win 7. You might have to run it in XP compatibility mode, but that might increase the risk of bricking the motherboard, or use DOS from a bootable floppy, assuming you have an internal floppy drive in this system.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 9th, 2013 17:00

As local admin try  Regedit > Export/Backup and Delete the DellBIOS key from HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\DellBIOS  > Reboot > try again

22 Posts

September 10th, 2013 14:00

Also, when I download from Dell and try to run the WS470A07.exe file, I get a message that the publisher could not be verified? I think that Windows 7 64 bit will not allow an executable to run if the publisher can't be verified?

22 Posts

September 10th, 2013 14:00

I tried this and do not have a DellBIOS entry in the registry.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 10th, 2013 15:00

Try right-clicking the file and choose Run as Administrator. Alternatively you might have to turn off User Access Control (UAC) to get it to run, but be sure to reset UAC to the previous level as soon as the flash is done.

25 Posts

October 17th, 2013 12:00

Just wanted to say that Disabling all non-MS services from msconfig and rebooting also worked for me. I was able to update an Optiplex 380 from A00 to A07. Nice work!

2 Posts

February 18th, 2014 07:00

I'm having the same problem with a Precision 670, and disabling all non-MS services didn't work for me. I even tried disabling the MS System Center AV. Run As Administrator yields the same results. And like yours, there is no DellBIOS entry in the Registry. Anybody have any other ideas? TIA!
No Events found!