Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2009 17:00

Dell Studio XPS 8000 - 4GB Installed BIOS shows 2GB - 64 Bit Windows 7

I'm having this problem with my XPS where Windows 7 System information reports 4.00 GB installed but 1.99 GB usable.  However, when I check in my BIOS system information it reports that I only have 2048MB/2GB installed and available.  I am running on 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium upgraded from Windows Vista Home Premium. 

Since Windows 7 reports 4GB installed, does that mean I'm capable of using all 4GB even though the BIOS only shows 2GB installed and Windows 7 says only 1.99GB is usable or not?

Does anyone else have this problem?  Has anyone had and resolved this problem?

Thanks to whoever can help me with this.

4 Posts

November 12th, 2009 14:00

Today Dell agreed to replace my motherboard as well. However, I chose to ship the whole PC back for the repairs - so it will take a little while before I can report back on the outcome.

Did some testing yesterday evening. In order for the PC to be able to boot It looks like:

1) DIMM slot #2 has to be populated in all cases, i.e. a single RAM module will only work if placed in slot #2.

2) BIOS registers RAM in DIMM slot #4 in combination with #2, e.g. 2x2GB in slot #2 and #4 show up as 4GB in BIOS (and all of it is usable in Windows).

3) DIMM slot #1 and #3 might not work at all, i.e. RAM in these two slots does not show up in BIOS. But, strangely enough, it does get listed as 'unusable'/HW reserved memory in Windows.

I think that is pretty much in accordance with other peoples findings in this thread...

-Jan-

18 Posts

November 13th, 2009 13:00

Glad to know you're sorted too Sean. Obviously there's a bad batch of MBs out there. Makes you wonder how many people have this problem and aren't even aware of it. I hope you can now enjoy the Studio XPS experience, which I'm really impressed with (running Windows 7 that is). Keith

4 Posts

November 17th, 2009 18:00

I am having the same issues with the Windows 7 64 bit 3.99GB memory cap when I really have 8GB installed.  Here's the rub - do I want to spend 1.5 hours on the phone for Dell to send out another MB that might not fix the issue - NO WAY.

Hopefully soon Dell will issue a firmware update for all of our MB.  I believe the reason some MB replacements are working is that they are really getting Windows 7 compliant MB - and not a part for part replacement.

Also, I think the issue was inherent to begin with - it was just brought to light by Windows 7 -

JuJuBee

November 17th, 2009 21:00

Actually the reason my MB was saying 2GB were usuable out of 4 on Windows 7 and the BIOS was only detecting 2GB, was because 2 of the RAM slots had bent pins.  Nothing to do with firmware.  There are people who have gotten the Studio 8000 with it working completely.

I just got my MB replaced today and it's detecting all 4GB.  It's worth the call.  Besides, I only spent 30 minutes on the phone.

18 Posts

November 18th, 2009 07:00

I partly agree with whatsamahoozit - though I did spend a total of more than 3 hours on the phone to get mine resolved (because the board had to be replaced twice). It's definitely not a Windows 7 related problem because my 8000 originally came with Vista and although the full 8gb showed in computer/properties then, the BIOS still only showed the 4gb. The only difference is that in W7 computer/properties added the rider that only 3.99gb were "usable".  What I don't understand is that if it was just down to bent pins surely the 8gb wouldn't show up in full in the OS whether it was '"usable" or not. In fact I also ran CPU-Z, which correctly identified all four chips as running, One thing's for sure, I wouldn't be waiting for a BIOS update to solve this problem - because if it doesn't you may be too far away from the purchase date to be able to demand a replacement.

4 Posts

November 18th, 2009 08:00

Okay  - here is another detail that I did not share before.  I have the Studio XPS 435T or currently known as the XPS 9000.  Here are a few points to think about:

1.  Is my issue cause by bent pins - No, because WIndows 7 can see all 8GB, just can't use all of it.

2.  What does my BIOS see:  Only 4GB - which leads me to believe that somewhere Windows 7 and the BIOS are not working together - Did this exist under my Vista install - you bet, but Windows 7 actually did a better job of managing my system RAM - and brought this to light.

3.  Will Dell Fix the issue with a MB replacement  - Well, I can't see the motherboard being defective per se, I do see that new firmware could fix the issue for me - okay, a new MB might do the trick (but it has to have a better BIOS)

4.  Is this a DDR3 issue interacting with BIOS - MMMAAAYYYBBBEEE (say YES)

I did call Dell and they are working on the issue - but at this time, they do not have an answer for my problem.  What makes this even worse is that I bought my wife a XPS 9000 as well.

JuJuBee

November 18th, 2009 10:00

1.  My issue WAS because of bent pins.  Many bent pins.  Yet, Windows 7 still saw all 4GB and said that only 2GB were usable.  My guess is that Windows may be able to detect if there is anything in the slot even if it may not be usable.  My last 2 RAM slots would not detect anything period.  I took out all the RAM and put RAM in only those 2 slots.  My computer wouldn't start up at all.

2.  My BIOS also only saw half of my RAM.

3.  You may be waiting a rather long time, especially if it isn't a BIOS problem.  Then you'd never get it fixed by waiting for an update.

4.  If it was a DDR3 issue, you'd think that it wouldn't be able to detect any of the RAM since all of them are DDR3.

8 Posts

November 21st, 2009 15:00

one more thing, does it cause any other problems. like you will lost internet connection even after you exit the game, can not restart which freeze on "shutting down" screen forever. so i unplug the power restart onto reboot menu and gotta fix it with windows network diagnosis. is it caused by the bad MB? please share, thank you

8 Posts

November 21st, 2009 15:00

thank you so much guys for sharing in this thread, never know until i read this. before i ordered this system, i was only concerning about the PSU 350W which if it provides sufficient wattage to the nVidia 260 GTX. this is no worry. but after i read this thread and checked my RAM only 3.99G in use out of 8G. then i called the support and they agree to chage my MB and the RAM. thank you very much again guys and hope people who has the system will see this. Appreciate for all guys.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 16:00

All,

For my notes, send me your service tag number in a private conversation (Click my name, click Send a Message).

4 Posts

November 25th, 2009 14:00

Okay - back to the Forum.

This morning, I just had the motherboard replaced by Dell - the issue still persists.  I am getting new ram and a new Intel core i7 processor replacement by Dell sent out.  Hopefully that will fix the issues.

Thanks Chris @ Dell for getting the ball rolling on this one - You are awsome.  My phone call did nothing to remedy the issue, but my posting to this forum did.

:)

JuJuBee

BTW:  Apparently it matters how you install the DDR3 (even while the system is unplugged).  Installation pattern as given by Dell was:

First populate Bank 2, then 1

Second, Populate Bank 4, then 3

November 25th, 2009 14:00

I received my studio xps 8000 last week, and ALL of my memory is available. Most likely it was a glitch of the MotherBoards. Hence, the long delays to ship them.

4 Posts

December 4th, 2009 15:00

My XPS 8000 was returned Monday. The RAM issue has been resolved - I assume, they have replaced the MB...

-Jan-

1 Message

December 4th, 2009 20:00

Had the same issues...and my motherboard was replaced today and problem solved.

4 Posts

December 5th, 2009 10:00

Okay - Here is the final UPDATE (I Hope):

I upgraded my wifes XPS 9000 - to Windows 7 - all went well for the RAM.

Dell replaced my motherboard from my XPS 9000 - this did not solve the issue.  After that, Dell sent out a processor (?) and DDR3 RAM.  After the processor and RAM were replaced.  I was up and running with 8GB of DDR3.

At this present time - everything checks out and looks good - Case Closed.

JuJuBee - (Mike)

No Events found!