Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

March 22nd, 2008 18:00

Dell XPS 420 Vista SP1 via Windows Update

Is it possible to make a Dell XPS 420 bought in January with a Sigmatel sound system show Vista SP1 in Windows Update? I would like to use SP1 for its better copying and faster boot, but I don't want to use the network install. Is there a way to make it show up? Are there new Sigmatel drivers - if not, when will there be?

223 Posts

i tried sp1 on my xps 420 (also got it in jan) and i lost surround sound and bass from the subwoofer, i had done a full backup before installing sp1 so just went back to that, i think the only thing we can do is wait
Message Edited by seeny on 03-22-2008 07:51 PM

1.1K Posts

No new drivers, yet.  Heard they are in the works and could be available in a few weeks.

If you truly want SP1 you can go to START/CONTROL PANEL/PROGRAMS FEATURES and delete the Sigmatel drivers.  Then reboot, VIStA should find your device and install it's own Audio Drivers.  Then after 2 or 3 tries, SP1 should show up.

But if you can wait, then it should only be a few weeks.  At least that's what they are saying.

Will using the Vista drivers cause any drop in sound quality? I use a pair of Logitech speakers with a subwoofer. Can I move to the Vista drivers and then install the new SP1 Sigmatel ones on release?
Message Edited by TimRogersCool on 03-22-2008 02:48 PM

1.1K Posts

Yes, if you have the subwoofer and stuff, I would wait.

I did this on my laptop but did not lose sound quality as I had the basic sound.  No bass enabling, or anything.  Just tinny sound. 

But I would recommend waiting so you don't mess up your sound.  I know it would be nice for transfering over the network (yes, it does speed it up, mine about 25%) but I wouldn't risk screwing up my sound just for that.

Best to wait.  And if there are no new drivers in a few weeks, or SP1 isn't reconfigured somehow to be compatible you can do it at that time.

As far as using the VISTA drivers now, installing SP1 and then down the road when SIGMATEL drivers are updated, I can't see why you couldn't change them then, but I don't enough about it.  There might be something I am missing.  So unless someone more intelligent than I (and there are many many posters that are) can give you better advice about that, I would hold off.

Message Edited by eskymi on 03-22-2008 03:57 PM

44 Posts

March 22nd, 2008 19:00

Q: I have the Sigmatel High Definition Audio CODEC 6.10.0.5511 installed. I see this in Device Manger. I have no listing in the Programs and Features installed list.

Anyway, I installed SP1 using the full download from Microsoft, not the update. I have no sound problems and the Sigmatel CODEC is still there. Is this different from the problems others in this thread are talking about? 

1.1K Posts

March 22nd, 2008 19:00

I believe what the problem is is when you reboot to install SP1 the incompatible drivers will not reinstall.  I don't really know if they messes up SP1's installation or it just doesn't reinstall the drivers and you have no sound.

But it's possible the standalone installation does it differently (can't see why but you never know) and it worked fine.

Or, it's possible that it "might" happen not necessarily on all machines with Sigmatel drivers, but maybe it happened on enough that Mircosoft played it safe.

Kind of like a recall on cars.   They might sell 1,000,000 cars and only 100,000 have a certain problem, but they recall them all and fix them just in case. 

3.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2008 20:00

Tim,

Uninstall the sigmatel sound from, control panel, add remove programs, reboot, let Vista install it's sound drivers, and then you should be able to get SP1

@TimRogersCool wrote:
Is it possible to make a Dell XPS 420 bought in January with a Sigmatel sound system show Vista SP1 in Windows Update? I would like to use SP1 for its better copying and faster boot, but I don't want to use the network install. Is there a way to make it show up? Are there new Sigmatel drivers - if not, when will there be?

3.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2008 21:00

I'm not sure what going on with the sigmatel drivers, I've had SP1 in my machines since early February, and the sigmatel stac would crash so I just removed them and my sound is fine. Hopefully they are working on an update, but as far as I'm concerned, I won't put them back in. My machines are fine without them.

March 22nd, 2008 21:00

Does using the larger non-wupdate installer allow you to hold onto your Sigmatel drivers? Is it a good idea to do this or are there drawbacks?

131 Posts

March 23rd, 2008 03:00

I uninstalled my sigmatel drives and installed sp1 one, i still have my bass and surround sound. Using altec lansing 5.1, no issues as mentioned by some users.

53 Posts

March 23rd, 2008 12:00

>>> RUQRU 

>>> Q: I have the Sigmatel High Definition Audio CODEC 6.10.0.5511 installed. I see this in Device Manger. I >>> have no listing in the Programs and Features installed list.

i had a slight problem when trying to use update to get SP1.

i also noticed that i did not have the sigmatel program in

programs and features - only identified in the device manager.

after uninstalling sigmatel in device manager and deleting the

files in the C:\program files, update would not find SP1.

i figured it was a lingering sigmatel file that was blocking SP1

from showing. i downloaded a fresh sigmatel audio program from

dell support downloads R157052, reinstalled sigmatel, then sigmatel was

identified in the program and features. i then uninstalled sigmatel from

the program and features.  update found SP1 right away.

i'm assuming uninstalling from prog and features is a much cleaner uninstall.

i'm using the windows sound. i have basic sound and i can't tell the difference

between the sigmatel and windows sound.

all went well with the install of SP1. 

i did notice that my C drive decreased from 100GB to 65GB...

joe

223 Posts

March 23rd, 2008 14:00

i tried sp1 once again but this time did what’s been suggested and that’s go into device manager and uninstalled the sigma sound drivers (didn’t restart) and then ran the sp1 installer, after it was finished i went into the control panel and then into sound and set it to 5.1 surround after that i went into audio centre and set that to 5.1 and enabled the subwoofer and whala surround sound with bass :-)
the only negative thing i’ve found is my machine seems a little slower starting up but that could just be my imagination

40 Posts

March 24th, 2008 12:00

I didnt touch the Sigmatel drivers and forced a SP1 install from Microsoft Downloads.  Drivers still there (actually, they are not in my uninstall programs list).  I can still modify their settings in control panel.

No issues. 

44 Posts

March 24th, 2008 22:00

smithsonga: I had the same experience. I didn't even know there was an issue since I did not see them in Add/Remove programs. I installed the full SP1 package from MS Downloads.
No Events found!