Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

August 20th, 2013 14:00

Dell XPS 420 amber light troubleshooting NEED HELP!

Hi, I've had an XPS 420 for about five years now, with just the hard drive having been replaced about 2 years ago. I've had no other problems with it, but I restarted it for an update, and it won't turn, and inside the tower the amber light is on; also power button blinks amber rapidly. I found on forums about how to clean it out, did that very thoroughly, and nothing. Found out about removing components one at a time to find the bad one, no luck there either. I guess it's probably the motherboard, but I don''t have the funds to just replace that or the power supply on a whim; I'd like to completely eliminate either or both as cause of the problem before I buy anything. Can anyone help with things other than what I've tried, or give me a detailed walk through of how to disconnect each component to eliminate that from the bad part possibility list? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Chris

Have you checked the sequence of the 4 diagnostic lights on top of the front panel?

Are there any 'Beeps'?

THIS is the XPS 420 Manual, with the Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Guide.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

Blinking amber power button is usually either a power supply problem or possibly a motherboard issue.

If you use a power strip or surge protector, remove those. With the PC off and unplugged, press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Reconnect PC directly to the wall outlet and see if it boots now.

This is what the manual (page 70) says about blinking amber:

• IF THE POWER LIGHT IS BLINKING AMBER —
  • The computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem may exist.
  • Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location (if applicable).
  • Ensure that all components and cables are properly installed and securely connected to the system board (see "System Board Components"

You can find instructions in the manual to reseat all the cables between motherboard and components. Also reseat the RAM modules and PCI cards in their slots too.

NOTE: DELL FORUMS WILL BE UNDERGOING SITE MAINTENANCE, AUG 21 - AUG 23. USERS WILL BE ABLE TO SEARCH AND READ THE FORUMS BUT THEY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO LOG IN OR MAKE NEW POSTS DURING THIS PERIOD.

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

Hi Chris,

You may check if the power supply is fine by using the integrated tester on the PSU.

To check if the PSU on your system model has integrated tester, see if an LED and a button are integrated into the back of the power supply. If yes, try the below steps:

• Ensure the power cord is plugged into the system.
  • Press and hold the button located near the LED on the power supply.

If the LED is solid green while you hold the button down, then the test has passed, indicating a Power Good status. If the LED does not light up at all, then the test has failed, indicating a Power Bad status.

You may run the test individually on the power supply by disconnecting the power cables from the system board and all internal devices. Plug the power to the power supply and run the test.

If the power supply is fine, reattach each device one at a time and run the test individually again.

If the LED does not light up at all, then the test has failed, indicating a Power Bad status. Replace the last device you added.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you further.        

2 Posts

August 20th, 2013 17:00

I don't have the light on the power supply or the button... the diagnostic lights don't come on, as the tower will not.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 20th, 2013 18:00

Chris

Could be a power supply issue, try installing a 'known' working power supply and see if this makes a difference.

The XPS 420 does not use a Dell proprietary power supply, standard ATX power supplies with either, a 24-pin or 20+4-pin, main motherboard power connector, are compatible and can be installed.

Because the XPS420 have an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used, you should be able to buy a replacement from most local and online computer stores.

A power supply, with five SATA power connectors, is required.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Chris

Could be a power supply issue, try installing a 'known' working power supply and see if this makes a difference.

The XPS 420 does not use a Dell proprietary power supply, standard ATX power supplies with either, a 24-pin or 20+4-pin, main motherboard power connector, are compatible and can be installed.

Because the XPS420 have an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used, you should be able to buy a replacement from most local and online computer stores.

A power supply, with five SATA power connectors, is required.

Bev.

2 Intern

• 

621 Posts

Hi Chris,

If there are no lights on the power button and system is not turning on at all, the issue could be with the power supply.

You may consider replacing power supply for your system.

If you are residing in the US, you may contact Dell spares for replacement parts. Please click on the link

http://dell.to/11GOIPD

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

No Events found!