Highlighted
PCNewbie33
1 Nickel

(Dell XPS 8700) CPU Upgrade Possible With i7 7700k?

Hello, 

so I want to upgrade my current CPU to a i7 7700K inside my XPS 8700, but I was wondering is it still possible and will work just fine? I haven't seen anyone do a 8700 upgrade with a i7 7700k, and was wondering if the mobo is even compatible with the 7700k. Haha I am a PCNewbie, and don't want to make any mistake. If not possible, shall I upgrade the motherboard? But however if it does work, will I need to upgrade my Dell 460w PSU? If so, can you link me any good models I should go for?

Also, I look to do some video editing/rendering, and is 12gb fine for that? 16 is what people say is good, however is it really a big difference?

Anyone wondering what model my XPS 8700 is, can't find the exact link or anything, but I know it had:

GT 635  (I upgraded to GTX 970)

i7 4770

12gb Ram

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: (Dell XPS 8700) CPU Upgrade Possible With i7 7700k?

Thank you for your message.

The 7700K processor is not compatible with the motherboard, the architecture is completely different & will not fit in.

Technically the power supply you have would suffice unless you plan to upgrade other devices like the graphic card & depends on the number of peripherals connected.

We would recommend a minimum of 500 W power supply for this unit with the upgrade.

The system has 4 memory slots & can be upgraded to a maximum of 32GB with DDR3 1600 MHz. A 16 GB upgrade is recommend if this is used for editing purpose. 

Dell-SreejithR
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
PCNewbie33
1 Nickel

Thank you very much! Do you recommend any motherboards/PSUs in the market that I can upgrade my XPS 8700 to? Will replacing the current mobo be a challenge?

0 Kudos
Dan-H
4 Germanium

You aren't telling us why you want to upgrade.

Also, you haven't told us your budget?

To be candid there are very few reasons to upgrade a core i7 with a 4770. It is a solid system, and nearly as fast as current generation systems.

I would:

1) add a solid state drive like a samsung evo 850 as the boot drive. SATA 3 is fine.

2) upgrade RAM to at least 16GB

3) If you are gaming, upgrade the graphics card, and then you might need a new power supply.

I would not upgrade the MoBo or the CPU. If I really needed a new CPU, I'd build a new system around it with everything new. Nothing in the 8700 really is worth carrying forward, except  maybe the keyboard and mouse.

0 Kudos