Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2012 09:00

Dell optiplex 990 crackling noise when playing audio

We have 6 Dell optiplex 990's that make a crakling noise when playing audio no matter how we play it.  I have tried mp3, cd's, pandora, spotify, itunes, windows media player and VLC and we still get the crackling delay when playing video or audio.  I have updated all the drivers and tried new speakers and the jacks in the front and rear of the computer.  I see people have had this problem with other computers I am just wondering if anybody has any suggestions?

3 Posts

June 8th, 2012 15:00

Inderpal M,

Thank you for your suggestions I have already downloaded the latest drivers for my computer and I also plugged in headphones and used other speakers and still had no luck.  I cannot reseat the sound card because it is intergrated into the mother board.  

June 8th, 2012 15:00

Welcome to the  community.

it seems that you have some issues with the crackling noise your Dell optiplex 990 system while playing audio..

here are some steps that you can follow :

please open this url :    http://tinyurl.com/7ychesh

and update the audio drivers on the system.. You can choose the operating system from the drop down as well..

once its done please restart the system .. And if the issue still persist connect the headphones or any other speakers to

your computer and check if you still get the crackling noise . After that if the issue is still unresolved you can reseat the sound

card. Or else the last option is you need to change the sound card .

Thanks,

Inderpal M

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

1 Message

July 6th, 2012 03:00

I also have this problem with my new Optiplex 990. If i mute the audio, the sound is still there in the headphones. Is there a fix for this, or any idea what is causing it? Sounds like electrical interference noise of some sort.

3 Posts

July 6th, 2012 08:00

Yes it does but I have no idea where it could be coming from.  I have already had the Dell rep come and replace my motherboard on a few of my systems and I still have the same problem.  We are now starting to check different versions of the audio drivers to see if that helps. 

1 Message

July 9th, 2012 08:00

Exactly same symptoms, all sound is glitchy regardless of source or device.  Went through the same steps and replaced MB.

Noticed that this got much worse when downloading anything so suspected conflict with NIC.

Disabled onboard NIC and problem cleared, so popped in a spare Intel Pro 100 PCI  with onboard disabled and so far so good.

This seems like a basic conflict on most of the systems shipped, oddly several other folks on site here do not have the issue with the exact same system.

2 Posts

December 13th, 2012 08:00

We also have a number of Optiplex 990's mostly SFF and a few minitowers over 270 in all and we are exhibiting this same issue on both models with different images with both XP and Windows 7. Installing a third party NIC and disabling the onboard NIC is not an option.

1 Message

December 17th, 2012 15:00

Same issue here. Particularly noticeable when listening to Spotify, though I've heard it when playing back an online video - playback will glitch, sounding like interference. Doesn't seem to be related to any particular activity, just happens randomly. This machine was purchased at the end of November, with the Radeon 6350 installed.

1 Message

August 15th, 2013 11:00

When will this be fixed? i cannot use the option to disable onboard nic and buy new nics.. it should work and Dell should be fixing this... 

2 Posts

February 5th, 2014 11:00

This is ridiculous.  Why has no one from Dell posted a solution to this problem? Updated driver? BIOS update? Get with the program!

2 Posts

February 6th, 2014 08:00

Nevermind.  Here is a band-aid solution: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/DPC-latency-audio-mouse-skip-and-stutter-on-t420s/td-p/602481

1 Message

April 24th, 2014 07:00

I just ran into this problem, and discovered rolling back the Intel 825xx Gigabit Platform LAN Network Device Driver to version 11.13.51.0 resolves the issue.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=V0YV4

1 Message

December 5th, 2014 14:00

That was it!  Been wrestling with this on several 790's for months.  Thanks, Evan!

1 Message

December 6th, 2014 05:00

Hi all - I have this problem on a new Dell XPS 87000 that I did not have time to test adequately beforethe return option expired. I never imagined a new computer could be so hopelessly screwed up. Even Dell couldn't fix it with a new motherboard. It has endless crackling in every audio situation.

I am looking at the NIC card and  Intel 825xx Gigabit Platform LAN Network Device Driver solutions here wondering if they will apply to an XPS 8700 and will research.

I did try disabling all network adapters and there was no change in the problem. I have updated all the drivers and tried every conceivable solution I can find anywhere, including turning off audio sound enhancements, setting audio quality to various preset quality levels, etc. etc and also hurling computer through a barn door and dropping down a well which also did not work...

If anyone out there has a suggestions please reply? Thanks!

2 Posts

December 11th, 2014 10:00

I have typically found that is a combination of drivers that can be the issue. I would update the NIC, Audio and Video drivers to start, get the NIC Driver straight from Intel, not Dell.

1 Message

January 20th, 2015 08:00

Fixed the cracking noise issue on Windows 7 by changing the NIC driver to Intel(R) 82583V Gigabit Network from device manager by manually selecting this driver from the list. You will need to uncheck the Show compatible hardware checkbox to see this driver.

No Events found!