Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 19th, 2009 14:00

Dim 5150 Won't power on

Hi all. Sorry if this is a recently solved discussion, but I didn't see it.

My 3yr old Dimension 5150 Desktop PC won't power on. It has been a progressing problem for a couple of months. Software restarts are fine, but hardware power ups now won’t work at all. (ie my desktop PC is now dead.) A green light on the motherboard lights when the mains power is connected and, before this complete death, when the power button is pressed it usually just blinks orange (without powering up). Previously we have gotten the PC started after unplugging everything (except for mains), but this was only intermittently successful- ie sometimes the PC would start straight away having done this, but not always. I replaced the motherboard battery about a month ago, but that did not seem to solve much. I have unplugged and replugged everything I can in the PC except for the Processor, also without solving the problem.

Also- I have previously noticed on earlier powerups green numbers 1 – 4 light up in a black panel on the front of the PC. What are they please?

I hope this powerup death is already a known issue and I can find a cheap quick solution.

Thanks in advance for all assistance.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 19th, 2009 15:00

_Me_ 

A blinking amber power button LED could indicate a power supply or motherboard failure.

The four lights on the front panel are to help with diagnostics, are they lite?

You can find 5150/E510 Troubleshooter,  HERE

Bev.

3 Posts

December 19th, 2009 16:00

Thanks for the extremelly quick reply. I will look at the troubleshooter. Hope it does not only say unplug everything. been there, done that.

When PC starting 'ok', numbered lights lit unsequencially, ie 1, 4, 2, 3 etc. When PC on, the lights are not, only light up when booting.

Now no booting, no lights of course.

If anyone else has info please advise, meanwhile I'll look into troubleshooter, thank you all again.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 20th, 2009 11:00

_Me_ 

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a know working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system, if power supply's fan and the hard drive runs, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes and/or there is no change in the diagnostic lights, then it would appear that the motherboard has died.

Bev.

3 Posts

December 21st, 2009 00:00

I love forums. Thanks to all. I took a gamble on it being the PSU, pulled it out, it had a slight 'off' smell, a little like mouse pee, looked it over, no visual leaks or burns, replaced it with a new 450W (Orig 305W) one for $55, Its ALIVE AGAIN!!!!

Phew!.. So pleased.

Thank you to all who offered advice / suggestions, very appreciated, keep up ur excellence.

Now, how about this weeks lotto numbers?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 21st, 2009 11:00

_Me_ 

Happy to hear the problem is resolved.

Sorry, but I've learnt the hard way, I'm not very good at picking the right lottery numbers, LOL.  :emotion-4: 

Bev.

No Events found!