Dimension 2400: Restarting Woes after attempting Win 7 upgrade

Dimension 2400

originally had windows XP

:
tried upgrading it to SP3, then got locked out of windows

found a guy selling Win 7 hdd out of a dimension 2400. bought it

decided to try making my locked out hdd a slave. so this is what I did:

1. disconnected the old hdd with win XP from the machine

2. placed the win 7 hdd into the hd carrier bracket. plugged it in (note jumper was set to CS, not master, at this point)

3. fired her up

4. computer booted up to the main screen while I was away, and when I got there it said it needs to restart. now or later? I said now, restarted the machine.

5. machine restarts, everything seems to be fine. all hardware is recognized: mouse, keyboard, monitor, wifi adapter, etc.

6. now i go to add my old hdd as a slave. directions on the old hdd say remove jumpers completely to make it a slave. i remove jumper, and add it to the secondary drive cable, as the cable that goes to my primary hard drive is only a few inches long, and only has two plugs, one for mobo and one for hdd.

7. i plug in the hdd as a slave, plug in the power cable, and attempt to restart the machine

8. from this point on, I appear to be having power issues. i think. when press the power button, the power comes on for about two to four seconds, then appears to shut off completely for about 5-7 seconds, at which point it comes back on.

9. however, no more display on the screen. no more acknowledgement that there is an operating system. no more interface with the monitor.

10. i disconnect both master and slave drives from the computer. i place the jumper cable on the win 7 hdd to 'master' (note that it was originally set to CS, and it worked fine for one boot-up sequence).

11. I remove the slave drive completely and disconnect the cables from it. now the secondary IDE cable is going from the mobo to the CD drive only.

12. I re-boot the machine, and get hte same apparent power problem. turns on, turns off, turns back on again, and no display.

13. I disconnect the drives again, and plug it in to my spare dimension 2400 tower. same power results.

what is going on?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 25th, 2017 08:00

Lots of non-supported issues here on a 14 year old system. We never tested Win7 on this model so drivers will be an issue. Moving another systems operating system via the HDD to another system rarely works. With no HDDs connected to the motherboard, when you power on, are there any beeps? What color are the ABCD diagnostic LEDs? Do the HDDs have a CS (cable select) jumper setting to try?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 25th, 2017 13:00

BOTH hard drives need to be Cable Select. And you may have to connect the old HDD to the end of the secondary IDE cable and move the CD drive to the middle connector on that ribbon.

After all that is done, remove motherboard battery and press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reinstall the battery (might be good time for a fresh one) and see if it boots up properly now.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 26th, 2017 11:00

You can't do mixed mode BOTH DRIVES BOTH CONTROLLERS BOTH CABLES MUST BE SET CABLE SELECT.  Master or SLAVE on any drive will prevent ALL from being seen.

13 Posts

June 9th, 2017 22:00

Others have done win 7 on these old Dells no problem.

In fact the guy I bought the HDD from on eBay, took it out of his own dell 2400 machine and sold it to me separately

With the HDD's both disconnected (power cables disconnected, IDE cables disconnected from the HDD, but not disconnected from the mobo), the mystery shut-off and then re-start thing occurs with no beeps.

I do not know where the ABCD diagnostic LED's are located

Yes both HDDs have a CS jumper setting and both were set to CS

13 Posts

June 9th, 2017 22:00

I executed this suggestion

I put both HDD's onto cable select

I put the original / old hdd on the end secondary IDE ribbon, and put the CD drive in the middle

I did not change the jumper on the CD drive, I only switched it to the middle connector

I removed the battery and held the power button for 30 seconds then released

I put the battery back in and pressed power

The system boots up normally, but now I don't get any video onto my monitor

I then shut it down and immediately restarted it

I then got the same mysterious shut-down and then re-start

I'm guessing the mobo battery (CR2032 lithium) went bad after 14 years

At least it lasted longer than on my Casio G-Shock!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 13th, 2017 08:00

all drives all controllers MUST BE SET CABLE SELECT or it will not work.  Jumper in the center IS NOT CABLE SELECT.

MASTER OR SLAVE IS NOT SUPPORTED ON ANY CONTROLLER ANY CABLE.   The setting below is BAD and will not work. CENTER IS SLAVE that wont work either.  There are ZERO issues installing on older dells EXCEPT that the video may need to be updated.

No Events found!