Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2008 02:00

Dimension 4300 flashing yellow power light

Dimension 4300 desktop won't turn on/power on. Power light button flashes yellow/amber. There is also a very faint high/low beeping sound. Already did the over the phone with dell tech support thing. They walked me through step by step of disconnecting wires/plugs one thing at a time, then trying to power up computer. Everytime no change from the flashing yellow/amber power light. Dell tech support person said I should upgrade my 256k ram memory to the max 1 gig which I definatly agree (also to see if my ram/memory is bad causing this problem). If that doesn't work, I should change the power supply unit and mother board. I read some posts and the general consensus sounds like the power unit needs replacing. I ordered the recommended memory upgrade already (expensive). The power supply unit is cheaper than the  mother board. Can I/should I replace the power unit first and see what happens ? I'm not too willing to spend the money for the motherboard. At that rate, I might as well get a new desktop computer. Please any help/recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm a beginner/intermediate with internal computer mechanics. Thanks in advance.  

3.4K Posts

September 26th, 2008 02:00

Hello,

It sounds as if you talked to a salesman, not tech support.

I suggest you call ASAP and cancel your memory upgrade. Changing parts willy nilly as this supposed tech suggest will only bring cash to Dell, not find the correct solution to your problem.

Look at THIS 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Dell support page for your 4300 and tell us what the lights are.

If at any time you require a memory upgrade most people here suggest Crucial memory. It costs much less, and is of the highest quality.  .

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 26th, 2008 03:00

Wanttofish

A blinking amber power button LED, usually indicates a failing or failed power supply, try installing a new unit.

The 4300 uses a standard generic ATX power supply with either a 20-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, without the on/off switch, if you use a PSU that has the switch, then you will have to modify [cut a hole] the back panel of the case for it, or you can buy a 4300 compatible 250w power supply for $39.00 from here

You can buy guaranteed compatible RAM for the 4300 from here.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

3 Posts

The ABCD lights on the back of the tower are NOT on at all. The Power light on the front of the dell tower is flashing yellow/amber.    What is crucial memory ? is that the brand name ?

3 Posts

thanks. I'll let you know how it turned out sometime next week. Thanks again.........
No Events found!