Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 8th, 2009 02:00

Dimension 5150 won't start

My 3 year old 5150 had to be switched off at wall after freezing.  When power is turned on at the wall, the power on button was flashing amber, but would not turn on.  I replaced the battery on the motherboard and now the amber light still flashes, but the computer is making a noise (the fan, I think, but I am not techie).  It still won't power up.  Any diagnoistic suggestions? Is it terminal?! :(

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 8th, 2009 04:00

In the Dell diagnostics, a flashing amber power light indicates a defective power supply.  And, this is generally true plus we have had a very large number of 5150/E510 power supplies fail.  In a few cases it has been a motherboard or a front panel switch assembly but in most cases it's the power supply. 

Fortunately the 5150/E510's use a standard ATX power supply.  Minimum of 350 watts and either a 24 pin or 20 plus 4 pin connector is needed for the motherbord, plus a 4 pin Molex for the motherboard.  Two SATA power connectors for the hard drive(s) and two PATA (IDE) Molex connectors for the CD/DVD drives.  Most modern ATX power supplies have these connectors and more.

2 Posts

May 8th, 2009 05:00

II have a Dimension 5000 with an identical problem.  When the power button is pressed there is no sound of fans or anything.  Opeing the case lets me see two illuminated amber LEDs on the motherboard.  To switch off the flashing amber on the power switch I have to hold it down for about 4 seconds.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 8th, 2009 07:00

First, please do not hijack a thread with a post for a different problem.  Although it is similar it is different and also a different model.  Start a new post for your specific problem.  Actually the Desktop General Hardware Section  HERE is the place to post problems such as yours. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 8th, 2009 12:00

II have a Dimension 5000 with an identical problem.  When the power button is pressed there is no sound of fans or anything.  Opeing the case lets me see two illuminated amber LEDs on the motherboard.  To switch off the flashing amber on the power switch I have to hold it down for about 4 seconds.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

bryanscott

Answered HERE

Bev.

3 Posts

May 13th, 2009 13:00

Many thanks for your very helpful response.  The PSU was indeed faulty and we have replaced it.  HOWEVER...

...Computer starts and states no boot device strike F2

In the bios readings under boot devices, all are listed as 'not present'

cannot get past this screen.  At my wit's end!

Any more advice...please :)

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 13th, 2009 14:00

Disconnect and reconnect all cabling going to the hard disk drive and motherboard. Restart and check the bios for the drives.

3 Posts

May 15th, 2009 06:00

Your help appreciated.

Bios settings had all gone to 'zilch'.  Reset and computer works with one (major?) problem.

All this trouble started when an IPOD connected to front USB.

Now computer is running ran diagnostic and received the following message;

Error code 4500:0328.   USB controller 3 shows an overcurrent indication on Ports A & B

So the situation is I have 2 USB ports not working!

I am new here and was not sure whether this should be a new post or a continuation.

Can anyone advise please? 

1 Message

June 19th, 2009 01:00

i, too, have a Dimension 5150 with the same problem - whenever it has a power down I get the amber flashing light. I have to unplug all connections usbs etc and then it works.  Would this also suggest a battery problem?

Any advise would be appreciated, thank you.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 19th, 2009 06:00

All,

Because there are a variety of hardware reasons that the power button LED may blink amber on the Dimension 5150/E510, you should contact Dell Support to ascertain what part is defective.

Inside of Warranty
Contact Support and they will troubleshoot the blinking amber power LED and replace the defective part(s) - 1-800-624-9896

Outside of warranty
You must pay for Dell On Call 1-888-236-3355 to troubleshoot the blinking amber power LED. Once they ascertain what part is defective, you may purchase the part from Dell Spare Parts 1-800-357-3355.

Possible parts needed
1. X8543 Front I/O and Control Panel Assembly
2. Power Supply (there are several part numbers. The technician can find this using your service tag number)
3. NH720 Motherboard Service Kit for Prescott CPUs
4. TJ946 Motherboard Service Kit for Cedar Mill, Smithfield, and Presler CPUs

1 Message

August 31st, 2009 20:00

i, too, have a Dimension 5150 with the same problem - whenever it has a power down I get the amber flashing light. I have to unplug all connections usbs etc and then it works.  Would this also suggest a battery problem?

Any advise would be appreciated, thank you.

I have exactly the same problem. I also have to disconnect the USBs and most of the time the BIOS battery too. I replaced the battery just in case but there was no change. Power supply is fine on mine.

The net if full with people with this exact problem. Never heard of a solution for it except for changing the motherboard. That's not a solution for me.

I had really bad luck. The problem started right after the warraty expired. I searched for a recall with no luck.

Now, I never turn off the computer completely. I restart or put it to sleep. If the electricity is gone... oh well, start all over again.

No Events found!