Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2008 19:00

Dimension E510 won't boot

previous thread is here: http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_other&message.id=362362#M362362 

I've now replaced the power supply then motherboard and no change, nothing on the monitor, POST won't start.  I guess the last thing to change is the front panel controller.  This is aggravating as heck.  I do get LEDs 3 & 4 on with 1 flashing consitantly now.  And I tried memory from another computer.  (I now have all drives disconnected and no cards installed.)  Should I try a front panel controller or quit now dumping money for a lost cause?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 19th, 2008 21:00

Do you know for sure that the replacement power supply and motherboard are good?  The last thing I would suspect is the front panel assembly, it powers on, or at least attempts to so that would suggest the front panel power switch is OK.

13 Posts

July 20th, 2008 13:00

Hello firebird, I'd like to think the new parts are good but can't be sure since I only have the one E510 to put them in. I got exactly the same behavior with each replacement as with the old part. so it would seem neither the PS or motherboard is the problem. If I put in the video card (an ATI Radeon X300 128 MB) I can get the first line of the POST (I believe) "RV370 P/N 113-A62801-106 BIOS" to display before the computer resets. I'm going to put in an old PCI video card and see what happens. I'm not sure but I believe the on-board video is disabled on the motherboard (replacement MB too), but I don't see the same behavior (LED 1 flashes with 3&4 solid, no cycling like when the video card is presesnt) when plugging in the monitor to that connector.

Please let me know of any other ideas.

Thanks,

Bert

13 Posts

August 18th, 2008 23:00

I fixed the computer with a new 820D processor, it works fine with all of the other original parts.

bert 

No Events found!