Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 1st, 2009 12:00

Dimension XPS 600 CrossfireX BIOS update

Is there a BIOS update that will allow an XPS 600 system to detect and enable Crossfire support for the new ATI cards with internal Crossfire support (i.e. they don't need a dongle or bridge adapter linking each card to enable Crossfire).

I got a good deal on two Sapphres HD 4670 512 DDR3 cards to replace the X1900's in my box (one of them had just died).

The X1900 Crossfire were working nicely. So figured the 4670's should be plug compatible since the MoBo must support Crossfire. Well to my surprise, the ATI CCC and ATI Tray Tools both report that Crossfire is not enabled. Both cards are seen and working (Windows Device Manager (running XP Pro SP3) and GPU-Z both confirm this).

I swapped out each card and installed into slot 0 individually and both work fine on their own (just in case one card was suspect). When installed together, both cards do work and I can hang separate monitors off each card. But no Crossfire.

Sapphire Tech tells me that that my BIOS must therefore not support the newer CrossfireX with the internally enabled Crossfire.

I really don't want to go finding replacement X1900's nor do I want to just use a single 4670 without Crossfire, so I am hoping there is some sort of BIOS update/patch that I can flash to enable CrossfireX support for my box.

I suppose I can break down and buy a brand new PC but I am waiting until Windows 7 SP1 is released before I jump on it and get a new PC at the same time.

Are there other XPS 600 users out there with similar problems?

Regards,

John

14.4K Posts

September 1st, 2009 12:00

the 600 has been out of production for quite some time. Dell does not generally update out of production system, unless it would be for some safety type reason. So I very highly doubt that  there will ever be any bios or driver updates to this system.

3 Posts

September 9th, 2009 09:00

Yes, unfortunately, but I was hoping someone may have tried a non-Dell BIOS update, perhaps one of nVidia's MoBo updates to make things work.

Thanks, Davt50, for your reply.

No Events found!