Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 24th, 2006 15:00

Dimension goes "BOING"

I have a Dimension 2200 with a couple of years of good wear on it, but lately it has started making a persistent, loud "BOING" sound at odd times (through the speakers), stopped only by rebooting. It usually happens when I have several programs open (often including Adobe Photoshop CS2, a space hog). Sometimes the sound is "TSSUUUP!" (the sound of a Klingon shoulder weapon firing, if I recall). I can't identify a pattern, although it often starts when I'm in Word and use a macro (such as CTL-C to copy), although that's not consistent.

I'm running Windows XP Home with 1 GIG RAM. I admit to being a tinkerer who loves to try out odd programs I read about in computer magazines, so it is entirely possible I have a little program running somewhere that is causing this. I've tried simplifying things but haven't found the culprit, if there is one.

Also, if I turn off my speakers when either noise begins, I don't hear it and the computer seems to function normally. I usually reboot, however, just because I assume the repeated sound indicates trouble somewhere.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 24th, 2006 17:00

Instead of turning the speakers off, try changing the sound scheme in Control Panel to None for a while and see if you still get any sounds. You should also first check all the sounds in the current scheme by using the test button for each sound in the list to try and identify the sounds. It could also be a Popup Stopper noise that you are hearing. Check those addon programs such as anitspyware, antivirus, toolbars and ad blockers.

15 Posts

May 24th, 2006 18:00

I listened to each canned sound in the sound profile and none was either of the sounds I've been getting. I turned the sound scheme off, however, and will see what results. Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 24th, 2006 19:00

Then it is probably from one of those addons. Look at those addons you installed and see if you can select No Sounds in the Options or Preference settings.
No Events found!