Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 25th, 2015 01:00

Does “Optiplex 9020” support Linux?

Hi

Last month only I have procured “Dell Optiplex 9020” Desktops. I am using Windows 7 Operating system over there, but now I want to install “Red Hat 6”. But I don’t know whether this desktops supports Linux flavors or not.

Please any will tell me whether I can install Linux flavors on it or not?

If yes, which Linux flavors I can install on “Optiplex 9020”?

I also want to know whether this desktop I can use it as "Linux Server"?

Thanks

Bhanu

780 Posts

May 25th, 2015 07:00

Hi,

Thank you for reaching us .

We ship these OptiPlex 9020 primarily with Windows Operating systems, however we have also tested installing "Ubuntu" which is Linux for home users.

You may give it a try in installing RHEL 6 after backing up the data from the PC, I do not see any reason why it wouldn't run.

If it doesn't, Please install Ubuntu or Windows back which should work fine.

Regarding your query about Linux server, It depends on what kind of server you are trying to configure, the best place for the answer is to check in Linux community forum where you can find discussions on the same.

Thank you

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 25th, 2015 16:00

Redhat Enterprise Linux is not Free and support for it is not from here.

Ubuntu 12.04.5 and 14.04.2 work fine and Dell ships systems with this and is an Ubuntu partner.

Fedora Core is the Free version of Redhat which should also work fine but again its not supported here.

https://getfedora.org/

There isn't any free support for Linux.  There is $$$$ Paid support for most versions of Redhat or Ubuntu. Fedora is always free for anyone to use, modify, and distribute. It is built and used by people across the globe who work together as a community: the Fedora Project. Fedora is sponsored by Redhat.

You should look at the Dell Linux site

http://linux.dell.com/

Resources

-Linux on Dell TechCenter
-Dell TechCenter RSS feed
-Dell and Red Hat
-Dell and SuSE
-Dell and Ubuntu

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

May 12th, 2016 07:00

i know this post is a bit old; however, i've ran Debian 8 Linux on my Optimplex 9020 since Aug 2014 without issue.  (Purchased with Ubuntu).

2 Posts

June 14th, 2016 06:00

Hi ,

i have just tried to install RHEL 6.4 x64  on Optiplex 9020, it stuck at the booting installer screen at, "Detecting Hardware......" .

i have tried all SATA mode in BIOS, but un-successful. so, i think, only ubuntu can be installed on this hardware.

Regards,

Rehmat Ali

No Events found!