Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2008 05:00

Dual monitors

Can I use 2 SE178WFP 17-inch Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitors with the 512MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT video card? Are the connectors compatable?

Thanks.

Ian

14.4K Posts

January 27th, 2008 18:00

The 8800GT has DVI connectors not sure what your monitor(s) have but if the have DVI connectors then all you need is a DVI to DVI cable.
If the monitors have VGA connectors then you will need DVI to VGA adapters.

January 27th, 2008 20:00

Analog = VGA Digital = DVI The monitors have an analog connection and your gfx card has two DVI connections The answer is yes, you will be able to use both monitors, but you will need a DVI to VGA convert (they're cheap). However, you can get Digital (DVI) LCDs for the same resolution/size/price, so you might as well pick one of them up considering you have a Digital card. (I got a 22" DVI widescreen for 170$ on Black Friday, you just need to look for deals) The only limit you have with your card is a max resolution of 2560 x 1600 That is far higher than any monitor you will find for under 500$ anyways, so pretty much any monitor you want will work with your card. Make sure to download the latest drivers otherwise you miss out on a lot of the available dual screen features.

41 Posts

January 27th, 2008 20:00

Ok. These are both new Dell 17" widescreen monitors. I can`t seem to find their connector type in the specs.

Thanks.

41 Posts

January 28th, 2008 01:00

Thanks very much everyone!

Ian

1 Message

January 28th, 2008 01:00

I have an XPS 420 with an NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTX (and another driver unknown to me called MovRVDrv32) and 32-bit Vista. I have connected to the NVIDIA two Viewsonic VP201b monitors, the same I had running perfectly on my Dimension 8400 with XPsp2 and an ATI card, with the desktop extended to the second monitor. I've also got the A03 ROM installed, as well as the latest GeForce drivers and the latest version of the NVIDIA control panel. I've also tried different DVI video cables. The problem is that I never know if both monitors will display the desktop (or anything else); sometimes neither shows an image. When I turn the XPS on, usually I see the boot screen and the Vista Welcome screen only on the primary monitor; occasionally I see the data appear on both (which is what I would see using the Dimension 8400), and sometimes I see nothing at all. After startup tasks complete, I usually see a display only on the primary, even if the computer reports that the other monitor is there (monitor #2 reports no DVI signal and goes into standby mode). Vista's Display Settings screen varies its reports. Sometimes it sees only the primary monitor; other times it sees the secondary as either another Viewsonic or as a generic monitor (right now it's reporting #2 as a "(Default Monitor)on NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX" -- before a restart earlier today it reported #2 as a Viewsonic. The NVIDIA control panel utility fails to operate with two monitors: the menu pick for regulating them continually refreshes its screen so that neither the current status can be seen clearly, nor can any stab at changing the settings on that madly refreshing display work. Frustration city! Aye yay yay yay yay..... Any suggestions? THX
No Events found!