Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2014 10:00

E520 Not Communicating with Modem

I am having trouble connecting my Dell Dimension E520 Desktop computer to my new modem. My old modem had stopped working and so I bought a NetGear DM111PSP. When I connect the Ethernet cable from the desktop to the modem, all lights are green, so I know it senses the connection to the computer. But when I type in the IP address (192.168.0.1) to bring up the modem set up webpage I get an error in IE and Firefox that there is no internet connection and it can’t bring up the website. I know I don’t need a connection to the internet to bring up the set up page, so I don’t understand why it won’t work. I did try a friends laptop with the modem and I was able to get online with it so it’s not my DSL service. Could there be something wrong with my Ethernet card in the computer or something with drivers? I also wanted to mention that I do think our house got hit by lightening and I stupidly didn’t have the modem plugged into a power strip like the rest of my computer and I wonder if it stopped working because of the lightening strike. Could it have done something to the board? Thanks in advance for any help.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 30th, 2014 14:00

Hi Frozen212,

The ethernet port in the back of your desktop has two lights, one of which shows activity and the other the connection speed. Do you see anything? Is the ethernet light on the model solid or blinking? It's possible your internet settings are set to a static rather than dynamic ip address. Check that as well.

2 Posts

June 30th, 2014 15:00

Thanks for the reply! I have lights on the back of the computer that are blinking orange and the modem lights are all solid green. I have the IP address set to automatic so I didn't enter an IP address in the properties menu.of the Local Area Connection Status window. It looks like everything is connected but it just won't talk. Any else I am overlooking?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 1st, 2014 17:00

Ok, try this first. Turn off the modem and your PC. Turn the modem back on and wait for the necessary lights to fire, indicating it's fully started, then turn the PC on.

If you still get no connection, run ipconfig from a command prompt to see if you are getting an ip address.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 2nd, 2014 09:00

NetGear DM111PSP  DSL modem does not have a router. The modem should go directly to the line without a filter HOWEVER all other devices aka phones MUST HAVE a filter.  169.254.xxx.xxx means its not getting a DHCP address. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

Use the NETGEAR Genie CD, to log in to the modem to set the country, language, and Internet connection. If the Ethernet is damaged you could try using a USB to Ethernet adapter.

www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Ethernet-Adapter-Black/dp/B00ET4KHJ2

No Events found!