Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 8th, 2011 19:00

E521 Recovery (D) out of space after upgrade to Win7

I upgraded from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium - with some issues.  Upgrade would not work, so I did a "custom" install - still just following the prompts of the install - nothing fancy,  I thought all of my programs and files would be gone, but they are still there, just not listed in "all programs".

My issue is that now my Recovery (D) drive is almost full and when I install new programs it takes up more space there.  I only have 94.8MB of 9.99GB left.

What did I do wrong or what do I need to do?  I spent a couple hours on the phone with MS support, but they did/would not deal with the Recovery partition since they said that is a Dell issue.

Thanks for any help!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 9th, 2011 03:00

I would not even use a partition on the same hard drive as the operating system for any"recovery" or backup.  As you have changed the Operating System, the Dell "recovery partition" to reinstall is no longer valid and will not work, so no need for any Dell "recovery". 

Any user data backup should be done using some external media.  Consider this, if you backup data to the same physical hard drive and the drive fails, all your backed up data is lost. 

3 Posts

December 9th, 2011 07:00

I am using an external hard drive for backup.  I agree that using a partition of the save hard drive for backup is odd, but that is how Dell set it up.

My issue is what do I need to change so that I do not need it or change it so that nothing new is put there.

For example: I installed open office and monzilla.  I see folders created in the RECOVERY (D) "drive" for those programs.  How do I stop things from being loaded there?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 9th, 2011 10:00

When installing anything make sure to look at where it's going and change it from D to C.  Windows has a bad habit of remembering the last place you installed a program and uses it again which compounds the mistake. The Recovery Partition is useless now, since it was for vista and has been altered. You can use Disk Management in Administrative tools and delete the D partition and use it for file storage.  Uninstall the programs that were placed on the D partition by using Add Remove Programs in Control Panel. Then reinstall to the C drive.

3 Posts

December 10th, 2011 07:00

It looks like I am booting from the D drive.  How can I see if windows 7 is installed in both C and D?

No Events found!