Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

March 26th, 2007 19:00

E521 with bios 01.01.03 - should I try an upgrade to 01.01.05 AGAIN ?

Folks: I got my E521 last Friday - with BIOS 01.01.04. Downloaded and tried to upgrade to 01.01.05 - flashing program stayed at 0% for about an hour, when I powered the machine off (BIG MISTAKE!). To make a long story short, the technician came today to replace the motherboard - which came with 01.01.03. The question is: should I break all the good luck charms, and try again the upgrade to 01.01.05? I'm specially interested in using ReadyBoost with Vista - and looks like USB support with older BIOSes is kind of flaky . . . For the record: I have eight computers at home (Sun workstations, Dell desktops and notebooks, IBM notebooks, Apple Macs, you-name-it), a truckload of network gear, and assorted stuff - never had any problem with any machine, and I can't remember having to call tech support for any of them - last time I had to call tech support, I think it was about 10 years ago - but after the last experience with the BIOS flashing on the E521 . . . Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks !

21 Posts

March 31st, 2007 21:00

I have tried and failed using the Windows method and under DOS by booting from the Dell Diag disk.  In both cases, the SATA driver was loaded.  The successes appear to be from a bare Win98 boot with no device drivers running.

For the floppy challenged...

I formatted a flash drive with the system files under Win98 and successfully booted from it on my Latitude at work.  It comes up as a C:\ and the BIOS Flash executables can be copied to the drive (with shortened names).  Hopefully, when my new planar shows up on Monday, the Flash will work and this will be my last service call.

Steve

21 Posts

April 2nd, 2007 23:00

Third time a charm...

After the second MB replacement, I had the service tech temporarily install a floppy drive.  After the floppy boot, BIOS 1.1.5 installed without a problem.

The original version was 1.0.3.  The original BIOS did not boot from a USB device.

Steve

23 Posts

April 3rd, 2007 00:00

steveni wrote:
Third time a charm...

After the second MB replacement, I had the service tech temporarily install a floppy drive.  After the floppy boot, BIOS 1.1.5 installed without a problem.

The original version was 1.0.3.  The original BIOS did not boot from a USB device.

Steve

Congratulations. I'm still plotting my strategy to get my floppy (less) 2nd mobo from 1.0.3 to 1.1.5. I'm hoping to hear from Dario, explaining his *exact* method.

Len

24 Posts

April 3rd, 2007 21:00

@LenG58 wrote:

@steveni wrote:
Third time a charm...
After the second MB replacement, I had the service tech temporarily install a floppy drive. After the floppy boot, BIOS 1.1.5 installed without a problem.
The original version was 1.0.3. The original BIOS did not boot from a USB device.
Steve

Congratulations. I'm still plotting my strategy to get my floppy (less) 2nd mobo from 1.0.3 to 1.1.5. I'm hoping to hear from Dario, explaining his *exact* method.
Len

Uh - sorry to dissapoint you, LenG58 - I thought it was clear from my post. I bought a floppy drive and cable from NewEgg - created a bootable floppy in another machine (using an external USB FD), copied the BIOS image to the same floppy. Went back to the E521 and the newly installed internal (so to speak - hanging by the cable ;)) floppy, booted from the FD, flashed the BIOS - turned off, unplugged cable, closed the machine, on my way.

Some additional comments:
a) I didn't trust the existing firmware enough to try the BIOS upgrade using the USB floppy. We can argue forever about this - "but once DOS has loaded, and you have executed the BIOS upgrade .EXE file, what do you care if the upgrade process itself messes with the USB bus? You're not using it anymore!" - right. Sounds good. Don't want to take the chance ;)

b) for those with USB floppies - I don't remember the BIOS upgrade file size (600Kb or so?). You could boot from the USB floppy, create a RAM disk, copy the upgrade file to said RAM disk, execute the upgrade from there. Let me know if it works ;)

c) for those that prefer the "better safe than sorry" path - here's the NewEgg part numbers:

N82E16821103203 - SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Model SFD321B/LBL1 - OEM - $6.99

N82E16812104016 - Link Depot 10" Floppy UV Cable, 2-Connector Model UV-FLP10-BU - Retail - $2.29

S&H - 4.99

about $15 - add tax. And save yourselves a call to Dell Tech Support, and the wait for the new mobo to arrive :)

Message Edited by Dario_NC on 04-03-2007 05:39 PM

23 Posts

April 3rd, 2007 22:00

Thanks Dario. One quick question...when you say "copied the bios image to the same floppy" do you mean that you copied the executable file (DME521-010105.EXE) to the same floppy?

Len

24 Posts

Yup. I just renamed it to DME521.EXE, so I didn't have to mess around looking for the ~ ;)

Dario

24 Posts

Done :)

And here's the funny thing - an addition flash chip & logic will probably be cheaper, in the medium/long run, than keep replacing mobos. Agreed: a motherboard redesign isn't cheap. Provide a daughtercard for existing mobos, carry the fix for new ones.

23 Posts

April 3rd, 2007 23:00

Dario_NC wrote:

Uh - sorry to dissapoint you, LenG58 - I thought it was clear from my post.
You didn't dissapoint, I was alluding to the PM I sent you. Thank you again.

-Len

23 Posts

April 4th, 2007 11:00

Woohoo! Set up an old floppy drive, booted with a dos disk, updated replaced mobo bios 1.0.3 with 1.1.5. Worked like a charm. Thanks again Dario for your help.

Len

119 Posts

April 4th, 2007 14:00

This is sad... I've killed two motherboards with this, and some brain child at tech support sent me e-mail this morning inviting me to try again. (Like THAT's a good idea)

Using a bootable CD, it "said" the flash completed correctly, (It lied)

My 1 month old E-521 is now on it's third motherboard, Running Win-XP pro as the 1.0.3 bios seems to cause interesting problems with Vista for me at times. But at least it's usable and the sound actually works.

No floppy drive to use in taking the route y'all seem to be having some success with. And definitely no wish to go out a buy one just to use it once. I already have enough money invested in this system.

24 Posts

April 4th, 2007 15:00

@Fing wrote:
This is sad... I've killed two motherboards with this, and some brain child at tech support sent me e-mail this morning inviting me to try again. (Like THAT's a good idea)

Using a bootable CD, it "said" the flash completed correctly, (It lied)

My 1 month old E-521 is now on it's third motherboard, Running Win-XP pro as the 1.0.3 bios seems to cause interesting problems with Vista for me at times. But at least it's usable and the sound actually works.

No floppy drive to use in taking the route y'all seem to be having some success with. And definitely no wish to go out a buy one just to use it once. I already have enough money invested in this system.

I feel your pain. Adding insult to injury: I upgraded to 1.1.5 on a "proactive basis", seeing as it was so many USB issues.

Now running 1.1.5, USB set in BIOS to 'No Boot'. I have a couple external USB HDDs - if I leave one of them connected while booting the system (an old Seagate one), everything is OK. If I leave the LaCie one, now and then the computer gets stuck in POST (the progress bar under the Dell logo filled half way). Only solution is to remove the power cable, unplug the drive, plug the power again, power on.

It's looking like one of those things you have to live with . . .

119 Posts

April 4th, 2007 19:00

Still no response to my last email asking for clarification that they actually want me to attempt to destroy yet another motherboard with this "update". lol

119 Posts

April 5th, 2007 21:00

Well look at that... They have removed the 1.1.5 bios image from the updates page.

I wonder if they are gonna fix it and try again or just trash it and leave those of us who didn't get it to apply without the improvements.

[edit] Guess that answers my question of if they want me to try again or not.

Message Edited by Fing on 04-05-2007 05:20 PM

13 Posts

April 5th, 2007 22:00

Right you are Fing. There is no longer an update  01.01.05. I'm still at 01.01.02 and still waiting for Dell to get it right. I was about ready to try the flash with a floppy drive that I would have to install (borrow from my wife's computer). Glad I didn't. My advice wait for the next one and hope it's right.

119 Posts

April 25th, 2007 12:00

Uh OH!!!!! Bios Version 1.1.8 available..... Hmmm.. what happened to 1.1.6 and 1.1.7?

Time to dig out the old floppy drive and hook it up.. Getting tired of swapping mobos.

HAHAHAHAHA....... DOH!
No Events found!