Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 9th, 2016 16:00

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 single fan in Dell XPS 8500

I'm trying to replace the AMD Radeon HD 7570 video card that came pre-installed in my Dell XPS 8500 with a new EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 (the single fan version).

I've previously replaced the hard drive with a 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD. The original 1 TB hard drive is now D:. I also have both a Blue-Ray RW drive and a DVD RW drive. I'm running 32 GB of RAM (Crucial). I'm also running the latest BIOS, A12.

I uninstalled the Catalyst software and the video drivers. The only Video driver is the Standard VGA driver that comes with Windows 7.

When I try to boot with the EVGA card, I get video, but it locks up at the initial screen ("Dell 8500" with a green progress bar at the bottom). Observing the video card, the fan spins to full speed when power is turned on, but after about 5 seconds I can hear it click off. The fan eventually spins down and stops. After about 30 seconds, and every 30 seconds after that, a single beep is heard.

I've  removed and re-installed it many times, and have double-checked the 6 PIN power connection.

I researched the card, and it seems as if a number of people have successfully used this card in the 8500.

Any ideas?

December 12th, 2016 09:00

Hi,

You could try installing the 7570 card back in the system and see if you are able to boot to normally. Then, if you are, by process of elimination it is the installation of the graphics card that is causing the no post scenario. Now, ideally the desktop goes with a 460w power supply. Which might not be sufficient in your case considering all the upgraded hardware. You could try a upgraded power supply. The single beep might mean a BIOS corruption/ mobo faulure.

2 Posts

December 12th, 2016 13:00

You reply got me thinking, so I re-flashed the A12 BIOS, and the card works now! Thanks again for replying.

No Events found!