Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 20th, 2011 17:00

Failed V card in XPS 410

Hi guys.

My 4 years old nVidia 7300 LE video card died over the weekend. Since this is my work PC, I was in a hurry to have it working again. So I got this nVidia XFX GeForce 9400 GT 512 MB ( PV-T94G-YHH2 ) out of pure luck since all the cards shown to me were DDR3 and 5, 1 GB, and over $ 100.

http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/products/graphiccards/9series/9400gt.aspx

I have been running the PC most of the day without problems and according to Everest program the temp has not gone over 50° C. My CPU average use is normal too. So I believe it is an acceptable card for my XPS 410 even though it says that minimum power is 375 W in some specs and in other specs it says 400 W. I do not play any high end game, just the average solitaire and Mahjong game, and once in a while I play a movie.

Since I live in South America, I have to go from store to store looking for the V card, and I did not have many to choose from. Also I know it is not easy to find 7, 8, 9 nVidia Series cards.

If I can buy in the States thru Internet another video card, one of the new cards, which one could any of you recommend for the XPS 410 ? 

Thank you before hand.

1 Rookie

• 

63 Posts

June 20th, 2011 20:00

Well, it looks like it has a PCI-e 1.1a, which I've never heard of.  I thought there was only 1.0, 2.0 and 2.1.  Anyway, if it isn't a PCI-e 2.0 slot, then you're very limited on what it can use.  I think the newest card available is a 8 series nVidia card.

This is a list of all the 8 series cards that are available for the PCI-e 1.0:

www.newegg.com/.../ProductList.aspx

If you look on your motherboard by the PCI-e slot, it MAY tell you which version it is.  If it is 2.0, then there's lots of higher end graphics cards available.

This is a list of graphics cards that are under $100 and will work with a PCI-e 2.0 slot:

www.newegg.com/.../ProductList.aspx

Any one of these would work well.  Just make sure they don't need more than a 375 watt power supply.

If you already installed the 9500 GT, and it's working just fine, I suggest you keep it.  As you said, you're not doing any gaming with it.  You don't really need a better card than a 9500 GT for everyday use.  Plus, your power supply exceeds the requirements for the 9500 GT.  According to Nvidia.com, the 9500 GT only needs a 350 watt power supply.

1 Rookie

• 

63 Posts

June 20th, 2011 19:00

I need more information to be able to answer your question.

1) What is the wattage on the power supply that came with your computer?

2) What type of expansion slot do you have?

3) How much do you want to spend on the graphics card?  (US Dollars would help me find the right one)

1 Rookie

• 

63 Posts

June 20th, 2011 19:00

Also, if you already installed this graphics card, and you are not experiencing problems, chances are it is a good replacement.

1K Posts

June 20th, 2011 20:00

Parthros.

Thank you for answering.

No more than $ 100, and for the XPS 410 specs you can find any info you need here:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps410/en/SM_EN/specs.htm

The thing is that since I have not been able to replace my rig, I have not payed too much attention to the new developments. So I was wondering if any of the new nVidia cards could be compatible to my XPS 410.

Thank you again.

1.5K Posts

June 21st, 2011 10:00

I guess I'm a little confused.  If the 9400 GT is working as it should, then there is no point in looking for another video card. The 9400 GT is much better than your original 7300 LE and will not come close to needing more power than what you have.  The 9400 GT has run easily on 250 watt power supplies.  All PCIe 2.0 cards will work just fine on the older 1.1 version as they are backwards compatible.   Being an XFX card, it should also have a lifetime warranty or a double lifetime warranty meaning you can register the card again if you bought is used and still continue the warranty.   The newer X38 motherboards did not come out until the XPS 420 and the PCIe 2.0 slot.  

1K Posts

June 21st, 2011 10:00

Parthros.

Thank you for the lists. Now I have a few more to choose from.

BTW it is not 9500 GT but 9400 GT. Further more the 9400 GT I got is not the same as the one shown in the nVidia web page. Mine does not have a blower. That is why in my OP, I added the part number, but is much the same.

Regards

1K Posts

June 21st, 2011 11:00

Kelbear1.

I know the 9400 GT is a lot better than the 7300. As a matter of fact I really do not need a card that fast. The problen is that those GPU, 7, 8, 9 series are almost out of stock. So I wanted an alternative with these new cards in the market that are, as you said, "backwards compatible".

I lived in the states for a while and I know the companies up there, most of the time, try to please the clients with warranties and all that. However, since I live in Venezuela the store that sold me the card just gave 3 months warranty, and I do not think that if I even register the card through the web page, nVidia is going to send me a new one here. Besides, me sending the failed card would cost me about $ 50.

I just hope this new card last a while.

Thank you and my regards.

2 Intern

• 

1.1K Posts

June 21st, 2011 11:00

Hi iroc9555

You may remember, my computer XPS 410 video card failure in March 2010. You correctly identified that I may have video card failure:emotion-2:

My XPS 410 was dispatched with Nvidia 9750 GX2 video card in Jan 2007 and failed in Feb 2010.

I remember searching here in this forum and settled for a GTS 250 1GB and that works fine for over a year now.

This link from this forum has the details:  XPS 410 video card upgrade

I wonder what is the equivalent to GTS 250 now available that will go on a XPS 410 desktop computer that has one 6-pin connection and 375 watt power supply.!?

Regards

1K Posts

June 21st, 2011 14:00

Hi Snow.

Glad you drop in.

I knew that my Dim 9200/XPS 410 could handdle up to a 9 series card, old 9 series, with exception of 9800 GTX, according to JMICHAEL, but I did not know this XFX PCI Express 2.0 9400 GT so I was not sure. Besides, most cards shown to me were GT 400s and higher, DDR 3 and 5 and over $ 100. I was lucky to find the 9400 GT for under 50 bucks here in my country. Now I know I can get a GT 200 or 400 which still can be found on line and delivered to my sis in Florida, but that takes time and I did not have it for this week. I needed the PC in a hurry.

Regards.

No Events found!