Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2016 14:00

GTX 980 ti in an XPS 8900

I'm looking to put a GeForce GTX 980 ti in my XPS 8900. Just upgraded the PSU to a Corsair AX760, link below. I'm just wondering if this will run alright, ventilation wise and everything. Has anyone else put this card in their 8900? If so how does it run.

PSU upgrade :

www.amazon.com/.../B00A0HZMEM;redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

1.2K Posts

March 15th, 2016 07:00

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=site:en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/+GTX+980+ti

I have seen 980ti in 8700s.

case cooling can be an issue. depending on the card you may need to move the HDD bay and do some trimming.

53 Posts

March 16th, 2016 17:00

It will work. You just need to change your PSU and add and replace case fans to mitigate the extra heat that the 980ti will make inside the case. This is what I did. 2 case fans in front of the case (reused the mobo controlled fan as the intake fan then added a secondary Noctua B9 fan below it running at full speed. Then have 88 CFM bgears exhaust fan connected to a Titan GPU cooler with speed control. The exhaust when set to the minimum runs at 40-50 CFM minimum which more than the max CFM of the temperature controlled fan which I have not seen run at full speed with the heat inside the case.

I also removed the HDD bracket to improve the airflow and purchased a SSD to 3.5" holder w/ fan and mounted in sideways where the original HDD bracket is and the SSD is at 33°C max while the GPU is running 100% for hours while doing a animation rendering. The HDD is also at 33°C with this setup.

Just for comparison if I do not have the additional fan at front and if I leave the HDD bracket there the temp of the SSD will hit 40°C then the HDD will hit 41°C.

You also need to make sure keep the cables as tidy as you can. Zip-ties will be your best friend.

No Events found!