Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

U

December 5th, 2008 11:00

GX 260 IDE drive failed - any recovery possible?

Windows XP

I use this older machine as a backup.  I turned it off for two weeks and now it won't come back.  I I was able to boot diagnostics and it clearly shows problems with the IDE disk (Error Code Ofoo:133D, "IDE device failed: incomplete CD for testing"

Do I have any options for recovering anything from the C: drive?  Is there a utility that will allow my to boot and look at that drive?

Thanks.

14.4K Posts

December 5th, 2008 12:00

You could try pulling out the dive and putting it into another system and try to read it from there or get a External adapter case to also plug that into another system

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Uncahuab

You could use an adaptor like THIS

Note: The Error Code: 0F00: 133D  IDE Device Failed: Incompatible CD for testing, means you ran the diagnostic without a writeable disc in the CD/DVD/RW.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Deleted due to, "Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!  Please try your request again..." forum error, causing multiple posts.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Deleted due to, "Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!  Please try your request again..." forum error, causing multiple posts.

17 Posts

December 5th, 2008 13:00

Thanks for the ideas Devin and shesagordie...g

17 Posts

December 6th, 2008 12:00

Darrell:

I appreciate the help, anytime.  I got some direction that the CD reference occurred because the Dell diagnostic utility was trying to log to it and there was no disk.

Thanks.

HJ

3.4K Posts

Windows XP

I use this older machine as a backup.  I turned it off for two weeks and now it won't come back.  I I was able to boot diagnostics and it clearly shows problems with the IDE disk (Error Code Ofoo:133D, "IDE device failed: incomplete CD for testing"

Do I have any options for recovering anything from the C: drive?  Is there a utility that will allow my to boot and look at that drive?

Thanks.

Hello,

Sorry for jumping in so late.

But, your error message seems to point to an IDE CD drive, and not your hard drive. You may want to look here and tell us what you find out. Make sure that you don't have a CD in the drive when you boot, and you may just want to unplug the IDE cable from the CD drive and turn the system on. Make sure that the system is unplugged before working inside.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Uncahuab

You are welcome.

Bev.

17 Posts

December 26th, 2008 07:00

To any / all:

I now have a BYTECC BT-300 USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Adapter.  When I connect this device with the IDE drive to my laptop USB, my Windows XP detects the new drive but does not assign a drive.  Thus, I have not means of accessing the IDE drive, to my knowlege.  Can anyone provide guidance for me to the be able "see" the contents of the IDE?

Thanks.

799 Posts

December 26th, 2008 07:00

I now have a BYTECC BT-300 USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Adapter.  When I connect this device with the IDE drive to my laptop USB, my Windows XP detects the new drive but does not assign a drive.  Thus, I have not means of accessing the IDE drive, to my knowlege.  Can anyone provide guidance for me to the be able "see" the contents of the IDE?

Hello Uncahuab, You can try to use the Administrative Tools in the Control Panel, and see if you can view the drive from there.

It may be that the drive is inaccessable for a number of reasons. It may just need to be initialized which can be done within the Administrative Tools, etc.

You must be extremely careful when manipulating any changes to a drive, since it is possible to loose all the data on the drive in the process.

Hope this helps.

17 Posts

December 26th, 2008 09:00

Thanks, Hanspuppa.  Unfortunately I have been throught the Disk Management menu already, with no success.  It requests that you "rescan disks", then re-boot if it does not detect it.  I have done that ... still no detection.

HJ

799 Posts

December 26th, 2008 10:00

Unfortunately I have been throught the Disk Management menu already, with no success.  It requests that you "rescan disks", then re-boot if it does not detect it.  I have done that ... still no detection.

Hello Uncahuab, Sorry to hear you are having no success. Just one more thought.

Have you tried to run a diagnotic test using the manufacturer's Utility program to test their drives?

You can download those from the drive manufacture's web site and burn to a CD\DVD and insert it in the optical drive and it should boot to the Utility program and allow some test on the hard drive.

Just another thought.

17 Posts

December 26th, 2008 10:00

Thanks again for the suggestion.  I did the diagnostic process when the drive went bad in the original desktop machine.  It was able to read some of it but indicated certain failures.  Which as led me to the current situation where I'm trying to salvage some of the data using this Bytecc USB device approach.

HJ

799 Posts

December 26th, 2008 11:00

Thanks again for the suggestion.  I did the diagnostic process when the drive went bad in the original desktop machine.  It was able to read some of it but indicated certain failures.  Which as led me to the current situation where I'm trying to salvage some of the data using this Bytecc USB device approach.

Hello Uncahuab, Sorry that didn't work either. Sometimes it is just not possible to revive some hard drives.

I have had some success on some hard drives, and no success on others.

I suppose it all depends on the defect of the drives.

You gave it your best shot.

Sorry it didn't work out.

No Events found!