Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2016 15:00

Graphics card update for XP 8300 to 4GB

I have a 2011 Dell XP 8300.  The processor is an  i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz,  I have upgraded the hard drive to a 1 tb ssd, and now have 16 gb ram.  I started video rendering on Adobe Premiere and it was OK but having a tough time.  When I started using 4K it just can't handle it.

My last possible solution is a graphics card update from what I read, I'm NOT a computer expert or technician.  NOT a know it all.

From what I can tell, my current graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series.

I spent an hour with Dell chat a received poor help, the first suggestion was a slower card than I have now.  And they don't have a 4GB graphics card from what I was told.

I'm not a gamer;just need it to be able handle 4K video rendering.  Any suggestions would be helpful. 

I know power suppy can be an issue and I don't know where to find what I currently have.  Also already use dual monitors so would want that to continue.  I do have 1 4K 27 inch monitor.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Stan

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 14th, 2016 13:00

4K video rendering requires expensive GPU's in SLI or crossfire.  Thats why the new mac pro uses 2 video cards.   These cards also require large power supply.  The Area 51 with 3 way SLI GTX 980 has a 1500W power supply.  Rendering is done in the GPU not the CPU.

This is why NVIDIA recommends 2 X  Quadro M6000 for this.

The XPS 8300 is not a workstation that can take 2 Quadro cards.

Based on your system a Single Quadro M6000 Video Card would barely break even IF it works at all in your PCI-E 2.0 bus which means its held back in 3 ways.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UXHQHJS/

1.2K Posts

August 14th, 2016 16:00

I know several who are muddling through 4K video export and they do not have SLI graphics cards.  None are bragging about how quick their systems are, but they are able to complete the task.

For your system:

1) More memory will help.. upgrade RAM to 32GB, t needs the right memory, and an operating system that supports more than 16GB. If you are on Win7 home Premium, the operating system limits available RAM to16GB. More in this thread. This is not an absolute must do, but 32GB will help.

en.community.dell.com/.../19448826

2) GPU acceleration will need a GPU with alot of V-RAM, or it won't really help.  at least one has reported to get a GTX 1080 working.

en.community.dell.com/.../19985693

GTX 1080s are spendy cards. A GTX 1060 has enough Cuda cores and enough v-RAM (8GB) that it might be just enough.

Also, Adobe is really slow adding supported cards to their software, so here is a link on how to add your card so it will enable the hardware acceleration of the graphics card in PP

www.pointsinfocus.com/.../

No Events found!