Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 11th, 2013 12:00

Graphics cards compatible with XPS 8700?

Hello, 

I recently purchased the Dell XPS 8700 desktop with the specs

-4th gen I5, 12gb RAM, 1TB harddrive, AMD 7570 graphics card.

I was wondering which graphics cards are compatible with my system , i was specifically thinking of getting the Nvidia GT 640.

If anyone can answer that will be greatly appreciated.

2 Posts

September 13th, 2013 23:00

Thank you Sundeep B,    

The first part I understand now 100%...  Graphics card specs say 400W min +12 v on main rail.   and the psu provides 400W and +12 v on main rail. There is no real need to buy a 600W psu.  (... prior to today, I was under the impression that gpu 400w +mobo 60w +cpu 93W +HDD 20w =563W psu minimum  *grins, how silly of me)

the second part, I think I understand.  

They don't make leads that connect to the mobo for 600+W requiring gpu's? (assuming those types of gpu's (higher end performance) would be connected directly to the psu.)    

And any gpu that did provide leads that could connect to the mobo... wouldn't suck so much power that they could damage the mobo or cause any excessive heat due to too much power being sucked through it to the gpu.

I think I'm over thinking this.  *laughs      Thank you for your quick response, I think I got it.

September 14th, 2013 00:00

Hi Nawesemo,

I am not aware of any video card that draws power from system board with the help of a power connector. Almost all high end GPU's draw power from PSU directly and entry level video cards having low power requirements (<100w) draw power from motherboard through PCI express slot in which it is connected.

Also, I would like to share with you that the power supply requirement can not be computed alone from video card. It also depends upon processor, no. of memory, hard drives, optical drives connected, internal expansion cards or external peripherals attached to system. While researching, I found that various power supply manufacturers have a power supply calculator tool on their websites that you may use to compute the PSU requirements for your system. One such example is Here

Note : The above link is for reference purpose only. Dell has neither tested nor endorses these tools.

The power calculated by tool is approximate power needed by your system. In my personal experience, I have observed that power supplies may not work at 100% efficiency. If we take PSU efficiency to be at around 70-75% and if the tool calculates your system power requirement to be around 300W, then you would need a power supply of atleast 300*100/75 = 400W. For more information, you may refer to link Here.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

11 Posts

September 22nd, 2013 22:00

Yan! Did you install the Zotac GTX 650ti AMP? If you did any problems?

pipo816

9 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 11:00

I did finally install it but i had a lot of trouble since no one from dell was helpful and kept telling me to just plug it in and if it doesent work then i have t oget a new card, but i finally found out they were lying to me and i actually had to go into bios and disable something they enabled and i was finally able to install my gpu,  right now i am finally having no problems beause i took my own initiative with no help from dell whatsoever.

798 Posts

September 24th, 2013 11:00

Uhhh.......seems to me that the Dell Tech here in this thread advised to go to the BIOS to change the Secure Boot Setting to get the card working.................

"DELL-Sundeep B

Posted by DELL-Sundeep B

on Thu, Jul 18 2013 2:22 PM

Hi ahsang,

Dell has not tested the above video card with XPS 8700. I did some research and found that a few users were able to successfully use the GTX 770 video card with XPS 8700. Also, based on technical specifications it should work with the system.

XPS 8700 is shipped with latest UEFI BIOS. If the video card BIOS does not support UEFI, it might not work with the system. In that case, either a video card BIOS update from manufacturer will fix the problem or you may disable UEFI Secure Boot in XPS 8700 to get the video card working.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards,

Sundeep B

#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA;India For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here."

29 Posts

November 24th, 2013 04:00

Be careful with what grahics card you choose with the xps 8700.

I just got one, and because the motherboard has two diods sticking up right next to the graphics card slot, right next to the "short" part of the slot, you can't stick a graphics card in with a thick, low, case at that point. My unit came with the 630 card, and I was going to put in the EVGA Geforce GTX 650 ti. Its a great card, and is not power hungry. Unfortunately, because its plastic case runs the full length of the card, you physically can't insert it low enough into the slot. 

What an irritating design decision by Dell!

520 Posts

November 25th, 2013 23:00

Be careful with what grahics card you choose with the xps 8700.

I just got one, and because the motherboard has two diods sticking up right next to the graphics card slot, right next to the "short" part of the slot, you can't stick a graphics card in with a thick, low, case at that point. My unit came with the 630 card, and I was going to put in the EVGA Geforce GTX 650 ti. Its a great card, and is not power hungry. Unfortunately, because its plastic case runs the full length of the card, you physically can't insert it low enough into the slot. 

What an irritating design decision by Dell!

I installed an EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti SSC in my 8700, and it fits just fine. 

14 Posts

November 26th, 2013 07:00

When you installed the EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti SSC did you have to disable secure boot or in anyway modify the bios or setup?

Thanks

14 Posts

November 26th, 2013 11:00

Thanks for replying.  If it isn't too much trouble could you please detail the steps that you took to disable the Secure Boot?  I've gone to the manual and there doesn't seem to be an abundance of information on precisely how to do it. I gather that some steps are taken through with Windows 8 settings charm and then you have to go into the setup on the computer.  Obviously the reason I'm asking is that my intention is to install exactly the same card that your referenced.  Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks

520 Posts

November 26th, 2013 11:00

When you installed the EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti SSC did you have to disable secure boot or in anyway modify the bios or setup?

Thanks

That is a good question. Here's what happened.Yes I had to disable Secure Boot, but EVGA has an UEFI Bios for the card and they sent it to me. I flashed it, and it promplty bricked the video card.  I received a second card which I'm using now, and haven't attempted to flash the UEFI Bios again. I just left Secure Boot disabled for now. I have my doubts there's any real benefit to it anyway. 

520 Posts

November 26th, 2013 13:00

You don't have to do anything in Windows. Before you remove the old card, go into the Bios settings and under the Boot options, disable Secure Boot. You can leave UEFI boot mode enabled. Save the settings, and you're good to go. The was an issue with Windows 8.1 displaying a watermark stating the Secure Boot is isn't configured properly when you disable Secure Boot, but Microsoft patched that last month with a hotfix. 

14 Posts

November 26th, 2013 13:00

Thank you very much for the information. Really appreciate the help.

14 Posts

November 30th, 2013 19:00

Did as you recommended and the EVGA 650Ti installed perfectly and without a watermarking issue. Thanks again.

520 Posts

November 30th, 2013 22:00

Did as you recommended and the EVGA 650Ti installed perfectly and without a watermarking issue. Thanks again.

No problem. That's good. ...Microsoft patched the watermark issue about a week after releasing 8.1, so it shouldn't be an issue anymore. 

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

December 4th, 2013 13:00

I purchase the same computer 3 years ago and from day one, it crashes stating the display driver has stopped working and has recovered, are you getting that same crash?

No Events found!