Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2016 13:00

HDMI on Optiplex 760

I recently acquired a 760 SFF from the local used computer store.  I am planning on making it a HTPC/Home server machine.  I've been mostly successful, swapping out the hard drive for a 500GB, installing a Asus Xonar DG 5.1 sound card, and adding a Radeon HD 5450.  The machine came with 4GB RAM and the Intel 8400 (pretty sure that's the number, it's a core 2 duo) processor running at 3 Ghz. 

However, try as I might, I'm having trouble with the HDMI port on the video card.  At no point during my testing have I seen the BIOS boot screen while attached to the HDMI, it only shows up if I attach the monitor via VGA on either the intregrated or the discreet card.  

The other half of this puzzle is that I have tried both Windows 7 and Kubuntu.  Kubuntu will display over HDMI, but Windows will not.  I can hear Windows starting, and using keystrokes, I can successfully shut down the computer, but no display.  

Now, I have no problem running VGA for use of the computer.  The problem is that because I have also installed a sound card, there's no place to put the VGA port from the Radeon.  So, short of cutting the mesh on the back between the power supply and the hard drive to run the VGA cable through the case I can't close the side panel of the computer.  Similarly, running an Ubuntu flavor as the OS would be fine, but I worry about not able to see the BIOS startup screens.  

Other info: I've upgraded the Bios to V16 (made no difference in the issue), I'm using a TV monitor (the kind you have to select the input).  Any ideas to get HDMI working?

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

June 16th, 2016 14:00

Hello!  In Windows 7, using VGA right click on the desktop and select the AMD control panel.  From there is there any selection where you can choose VGA or HDMI?  Also check the BIOS and see if there is a way to select HDMI.  I know in some older cards you had to tell it what port to use and off the top of my head i'm not familiar with AMD's control panel layout.  

2 Posts

June 16th, 2016 14:00

I haven't looked at the control panel in windows, will do when I get home.  As for the BIOS, the only options are "Auto" or "Onboard/Add-in Card".  I've tried both options for the BIOS, and couldn't tell the difference between the two.

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

June 16th, 2016 17:00

It doesn't look like their is a difference as Auto would detect if you have an external GPU and Onboard/Add-in does the same thing.  Try the control panel idea, and also make sure you are using the newest drivers from AMD.com.  Not sure if there is anything fresh for the 5450 since its rather old but you should have the latest that they made for it.  Also try it without the sound card.  Some GPU cards  have built in sound and that might cause some oddities.  If you can get the card to work without the sound card, put it back in and see if it sorts itself.  

No Events found!