Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 9th, 2010 06:00

HELP!! Cannot System Restore as 'can't fins user account'

Hi,

I have a DELL Inspiron 530 Desktop and recently had some viruses removed...unfortunately I think some of the settings on my account have been altered or removed aswell because now I keep getting blue screen error file dumps...e.g. 'PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA'

I decided to restore to factory settings and backed everything up onto an external harddrive but cannot get past login (after hitting F8 and chosing system restore option) as a user as it 'cannot connect or find the user account'

I don't know what to do, please help!

Emily

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2010 08:00

I'm having a very similar problem.   After getting a virus that pc-cillin didn't catch and won't clean (even after updating), i've decided to restore to factory install...

So, I restart, press F8, select 'repair' option and it takes me to a login screen for "Other User" and asks for username and password of an administrator account.   However, putting anything in the username errors out with 'unable to connect to directory'... leaving it blank gives me a 'please enter usersname password'.  A catch 22.

My question is this:  what account is it looking for, and what Directory is it unable to connect to?  This is a standalone PC and not part of a network that would require a directory for authentication.

I'd reinstall from a disk, but can't find originals...

BTW: using Vista with the service pack.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2010 10:00

If there's a Repair option on the F8 menu, try that one instead of the Restore option.

Ron

5 Posts

January 3rd, 2011 14:00

Yes this was exactly the same problem I was having - I also got - RCS server too busy and was unable to do administrative tasks when logged onto the internet such as uninstall a program or change firewall settings etc.....I still don't know what the solution is. I havent done a system restore - did you manage to do one in the end?

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2011 17:00

?????

can you by any chance get into the system logs

as you only did a repair

any thing that keeps a log like your anti virus program still has all the bad things you just fixed in them

and if it stop you the first time it will keep stopping you

its the same thing if you get it up and running and can not get windows updates

just pointing

i found that out first hand

your only fixing windows not all the programs

2 Posts

January 4th, 2011 03:00

@ROHE

=> we are using the 'repair' option on the F8 menu...the Restore option on F8 is only 'restore to last known good boot'   since the problem is virus, not booting, the restore points are not helpful.

@NO2498

==> we don't have any system logs on the repair, as we don't get to repair options.  It is asking us to log in as administrators BEFORE giving us any options to repair / restore / anything.   And it's during this login that we get the 'directory not available' message, which prevents us from logging in, and therefore, prevents us from doing anything.

Also, I'm not trying to repair windows, I'm trying to put the system back to the software it had when it shipped...yes, i loose all my data/settings/apps, but it's the only way to clear the virus.

So I'm still stuck with a machine I don't want to connect to internet due to uncleanable virus, and i can't really use it offline. 

I'm hoping someone has some experience with this 'directory' issue and can help us restore our system... or at least point me to someplace I can order the CD version of my system setup so I can install fresh from some disks.

Thanks in advance

64 Posts

January 4th, 2011 07:00

If you can get into windows, pop yourself over to the control panel and the users section to see if the administrator account is active. If it is maybe blank the password see it that helps at all.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 4th, 2011 10:00

Mmunro - Read this.

Ron

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 4th, 2011 10:00

Mmunro - Read this.

Ron

If you can't find the Vista DVD and live in the US, you can request replacement disks, once, by completeing this form. Dell may charge for the disks.

Ron

No Events found!