Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 11th, 2016 13:00

Hard Drive for Dimension 2350

This is an old machine still running Windows XP SP3. It still has the original 5 GB hard drive.

I would like to keep using it as an off-line machine 99.9% of the time but the hard drive has little room available after installing just a couple programs with the size of XP SP3.

Is there any way to install a bigger hard drive? Is there a Bios problem to consider, how can I find out the maximum size? 

This is an old machine still running Windows XP SP3. It still has the original 5 GB hard drive.

I would like to keep using it as an off-line machine 99.9% of the time but the hard drive has little room available after installing just a couple programs with the size of XP SP3.

Is there any way to install a bigger hard drive? Is there a Bios problem to consider, how can I find out the maximum size? 

<ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 13th, 2016 05:00

There's no problem installing a larger drive -- but 5 G?  That's an odd size.  What's the drive model number (should show in BIOS setup or under Windows device manager).

You will need to look for a used drive -- or an old-stock unit.  This system uses a parallel ATA drive (PATA or EIDE);  the last of these saw production just before the Western Digital plants in Thailand were flooded in 2011.  After the floods, WD never restarted production of EIDE drives - and all others had long since ceased making PATA drives.

There were plenty of 500 G EIDE drives -- some may have been made up to a terabyte, but that was at the point when EIDE was dying in favor of SATA -- so there won't be a lot of them over 500G in size.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 13th, 2016 07:00

Any Drive 120 gigs or smaller will not have issues.  An ADP-06 IDE to sata adapter with a drive like 80 gigs would be my recommendation.  48 Bit LBA requires a bios newer than 2004 and XP SP2 or SP3 with a registry hack.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/303013

https://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-SATA-Bridge-Board-ADP-06/dp/B002SZDOM6

5 Posts

July 13th, 2016 08:00

Okay, now I'm a little confused.

In "My Computer" I click on Local Disc (C:) and then open "Properties" and shows Capacity as 5,239,468,032 bytes 4.87 GB

Then go to Device Manager and click on Disk Drives and it shows ST330013A. Did a Google search on that Model Number and it comes up as a Seagate

Hard Disk Model   SEAGATE ST330013A

Disk Family   Barracuda ATA V 30013

Form Factor   3.5"

Capacity   30 GB (30 x 1 000 000 000 bytes)

Is there someplace where a setting has been changed to not allow the computer to see the other 25 GB?

Or should I open the case up and see if I can find numbers on the drive itself just to be sure?

I appreciate the replies for this old computer that most would say "Scrap it"!

5 Posts

July 13th, 2016 09:00

Did a little more digging around but did not change any settings.

Found this that makes me wonder what's up!

In "Computer Management" under "Storage" clicked on "Disk Management". Over to the right it is showing (C:), Partition, Basic, NTFS, Healthy(System 4.88GB, 950 MB 19% No

Then below that is a box Saying Disk 0 Basic 27.95 GB Online to the right of that is a box with (C:) 4.88 GB NTFS Healthy(System). To the right of that box says 23.07 GB Unallocated.

To my mind it looks like the computer knows the space is there but something is telling it to not use it!

5 Posts

Well the guilty person was probably me as I did just do a clean install of XP and probably clicked on something wrong. As there is no real important data on this computer there is nothing to loose, other than time, by attempting a repartition. Any chance of a hint on where to find a freeware utility to try?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

I figured the drive had to be larger.  Sounds like someone may have installed the system after partitioning the drive.  Click on start, run, and type in diskmgmt.msc  -- that will  open the disc manager so you can see how it's been partitioned.  Unfortunately, XP doesn't allow repartitioning without data loss unless a third party utility is used -- and if you decide to try one, be sure you have a full backup before you begin, as there's always the possibility of data loss when a partition structure is altered.

If there's free space on the drive, you can also create a new partition, moving your data files to it - freeing up space on the c: partition.  That can be done with the disc manager.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 13th, 2016 10:00

Well the guilty person was probably me as I did just do a clean install of XP and probably clicked on something wrong. As there is no real important data on this computer there is nothing to loose, other than time, by attempting a repartition. Any chance of a hint on where to find a freeware utility to try?

http://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

July 15th, 2016 23:00

Yes, if you use a SATA card, you can boot from drives up to 2tb in size, and have any size data drive.

No Events found!