Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2016 00:00

Having Trouble Understanding T3610 Memory Configuration

Hi All,

I recently obtained 16 GB (2 x 8GB) of memory in the hopes of expanding the capacity of my T3610 workstation, which contains already 16 GB (4 x 4GB). I am having a lot of trouble figuring out the correct way to arrange this in 8 DIMM slots in order to obtain an acceptable configuration.

My understanding is that this machine is quad channel. The manual gives some (very vague) guidance as to how the memory should be arranged:

"Memory modules of different sizes can be mixed (for example, 2 GB and 4 GB). But, all populated channels must have identical configurations."

Does this mean that different channels can accept different sizes but within each channel only the same size can be used (example acceptable configuration: ch1 2 x 4GB, ch2 2 x 8GB) or that different sizes can be mixed within channels but each channel must have the same mix of sizes (example acceptable configuration: ch1 1 x 4 GB & 1 x 8 GB, ch2 1 x 4 GB & 1 x 8 GB)?

Additionally, it is not clearly indicated either in the manual or on the motherboard which channel is which. The slots are simply numbered DIMM1, DIMM2, ... , DIMM8. Should I assume that the channels go from bottom to top (when the workstation is standing) i.e. 1 & 5 = channel A, 3 & 7 = channel B, 8 & 4 = channel C, 6 & 2 = channel D?

The non-functioning configurations I have so far tried are: 8 GB in 1 & 3 and 4 GB in 2 & 4; 8 GB in 1 & 2 and 4 GB in 3 & 4. These were guesses more than anything!

Many thanks in advance for your replies!
Scott Smith

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 21st, 2016 07:00

1600MHz and 1866MHz DDR3 RDIMM ECC/Non-ECC
8 slots
Capacity = 2/4/8/16GB
Maximum = 128GB

20 = DIMMs White 1, Black 5, White 3, Black 7
17 = DIMMs Black 2, White 6, Black 4, White 8

In what slots were the original four 4GB installed? I do not see a 32GB configuration in the chart below consisting of four 4GB sticks and two 8GB sticks?

4 Posts

April 21st, 2016 08:00

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply.

The original configuration was 4 x 4 GB in the slots 1, 3, 4 and 2 (i.e. those that have white levers).

As you can see, the factory 32 GB configuration is 4 x 8 GB sticks in the slots 1, 3, 4 and 2. In fact, it seems that none of the factory configurations mix memory sizes.

However, the text that I have quoted from the manual in my original post leads me to think that sticks of different sizes can be mixed, but there are some rules about how to do this that aren't made entirely clear in the manual. What I would really like is clarification of those rules so I can figure out the appropriate configuration of mixed sticks myself.

What I would also find useful would be explanation of which slots in the areas 17 (numbering from left to right 8, 4, 6, 2) and 20 (numbering from left to right 1, 5, 3, 7) of the picture correspond to which channels (i.e. Ch0, Ch1, Ch2, Ch3).

Thank you again for your help.
Scott Smith

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 21st, 2016 09:00

To clarify, when looking at the motherboard picture left to right, 17 2/4 are black? All white would be =
20 1/3, 17 6/8

White/Black/White/Black            Black/White/Black/White
1         5         3         7                   2        6         4         8

Does this not match the listing on the motherboard itself?

There is not any documentation that states what bank is what channel. If all 4GB sticks were installed in all white slots, I think they would all be 0 in the chart. So each bank of two white/black and two black/white would be a channel. Do the channels flow left to right as looking at the picture, I do not know. That would logical if they did.

4 Posts

April 22nd, 2016 02:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your latest reply. I have attached an image explaining the numbering as written on the motherboard itself:

Yes, logically one would assume that the white & black pairs belong to the same channel. I had assumed that Ch0 was 1 & 5 and then Ch1 would be 2 & 6. In any case I have tried just about every reasonable iteration of the sticks in slots 1/5/3/7 and 1/5/2/6 imaginable - no luck.

Thanks for your help so far
Scott Smith

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 22nd, 2016 06:00

Ok. All we can do is hope that another user replies with their thoughts. I will ask the Rockstars to look at this.

4 Posts

April 25th, 2016 04:00

Thanks Chris,

I have to get in touch with Tech Support soon for another matter, so I will also ask them about this and see if they have any advice to give. I'll post back with the results. Let me know if you hear anything in the meantime!

Cheers
Scott

No Events found!