Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 13th, 2015 22:00

Headphones on XPS 8700 not working

When I plug headphones into either of the jacks on the XPS 8700 windows recognizes that a device has been plugged into (or unplugged from) the audio jack, but no device shows up on the 'Sound' control panel.  (it has 2 unused NVIDIA entries and the the Speakers.) and no sound from the headphones.

The Speakers work fine, but no headphones.  Thanks if you can help.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 15th, 2015 08:00

Try plugging the headphones into the top of the tower headphone jack instead of the back one which is hard to see and identify correctly. The top of the tower has 2 usb ports, a mic port and a headphone port.

4 Posts

March 18th, 2015 17:00

After variations of starting and restarting with headphones plugged in/not plugged in/unplugging once started/plugging once started the problem resolved itself after an  hour.

4 Posts

I resolved my problem when at one point (although not always, and I can't explain why) mine came up with a window when I plugged in the earphones asking which device was plugged in.  I responded 'Skullcandy Headphone' and they worked.  This selection box was the key in my case.  Gotta love microsoft...

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 14th, 2015 05:00

Hi KevB-01,

Do your speakers work ok? The headphone jack is just a dumb analog device so normally if the speakers work, the headphones will as well. Did you check downloads for an updated sound card driver?

4 Posts

March 14th, 2015 07:00

The speakers are fine, it's just the headphones.  I purchased a new pair thinking the old ones were bad, but still no sound.  My system is only about a month old and the drivers should be up to date but I'll double check.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 15th, 2015 07:00

I've seen a couple instances where installing an update driver solved this problem. Let me know if it helps at all.

2 Posts

March 15th, 2015 19:00

I have the same situation. Someone please help us.

I tried to update my audio driver but the diver files did not install.

Audio_CREATIVE_W7_W8_W81_A00_Setup-241T2_ZPE.exe | Hard-Drive (193 MB)

XPS-8700_Audio_Driver_N4TKF_WN_6.0.1.7016_A00.EXE | Update Package for Microsoft® Windows® (221 MB)

4 Posts

March 18th, 2015 16:00

After testing the headphones would not work in any jack on the back. They work fine on another computer.

I used the other computer's speakers which will work in the jack on the back, but not on the topside jack.

(middle lower jack, colored light green (inbetween blue and red))

Then headphones started working in the back jack as well, but still not in the top jack.

I will be very disappointed in the quality of goods if this is an interior issue to the computer itself as I have literally had this computer a month.

4 Posts

March 18th, 2015 16:00

I have the same issue as well. My XPS was purchased over president's day sale.

I have only used headphones on the top jack by the mic and two additional usb cords.

Service update KB3036612 was installed the same day as the issue developed.

Drivers are updated.

I plan on checking with additional hardware.

4 Posts

Thanks for the helpful suggestion.  That was the jack I was using but had a different problem.

2 Posts

March 19th, 2015 15:00

Control Panel> Hardware and Sound> Dell Audio> Advanced> Jack Information 

Click on the green jack sign in the Front panel.

It works for me.

1 Message

November 25th, 2015 19:00

You rock, Son!

September 14th, 2016 10:00

I had backup devices on tower top. didnt see jack. Speakers fine, earphones fine thank you for improving my brain synapses

No Events found!