brentcrow88
1 Copper

Re: Help with Dimension 4600 graphics card upgrade

Im really suprised everyone is saying that the Dimension 4600 will only run an AGP card...thats not true at all. Im running a Dimension 4600 Pent 4 @ 2.79...The mobo has 3 agp slots and 1 pci..not pci-e slot....this pc will run a pci graphics card. I currently have a ATI Radeon x1300 256mb PCI card and have been running it for 5 years now. Theres a massive selection of PCI cards that offer DVI HDMI outputs...newegg being a great place to shop. Also, amazon.com offers a huge selection. For what you want..id look for a card with 256mb or 512 mb. You can go with an AGP card OR a PCI..not PCI-e... card.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Im really suprised everyone is saying that the Dimension 4600 will only run an AGP card...thats not true at all. Im running a Dimension 4600 Pent 4 @ 2.79...The mobo has 3 agp slots and 1 pci..not pci-e slot....this pc will run a pci graphics card. I currently have a ATI Radeon x1300 256mb PCI card and have been running it for 5 years now. Theres a massive selection of PCI cards that offer DVI HDMI outputs...newegg being a great place to shop. Also, amazon.com offers a huge selection. For what you want..id look for a card with 256mb or 512 mb. You can go with an AGP card OR a PCI..not PCI-e... card.

brentcrow88

That is not correct, the Dimension 4600 motherboard has 3 x PCI and 1 x AGP slots, see HERE

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
brentcrow88
1 Copper

I appreciate the forum post and that may be the mobo layout for the 4600i....but I know my PC as im using it to post this reply and it has 1 PCI slot and 3 AGP slots....I run a video card in the PCI, a linksys fast ethernet card and soundblaster card in two of the three agp slots...reguardless of the mobo layout my reason for my post is to notify the above user that he is able to use a PCI video card to upgrade his system. Im sure as technology has progressed over the years dell switched to mobo's with more PCI options than AGP...my dimension 4600 was built in 2001 or 2002 and has the single PCI and 3 AGP slots.

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Osmium

I appreciate the forum post and that may be the mobo layout for the 4600i....but I know my PC as im using it to post this reply and it has 1 PCI slot and 3 AGP slots....I run a video card in the PCI, a linksys fast ethernet card and soundblaster card in two of the three agp slots...reguardless of the mobo layout my reason for my post is to notify the above user that he is able to use a PCI video card to upgrade his system. Im sure as technology has progressed over the years dell switched to mobo's with more PCI options than AGP...my dimension 4600 was built in 2001 or 2002 and has the single PCI and 3 AGP slots.

AGP is the old standard for video cards, while PCI is a dated standard for regular expansion cards. As Bev said, the 4600 has 1 AGP slot and 3 PCI slots. As you said, both AGP and PCI cards will work; in some cases a PCI card (like the Sparkle 8400Gs) may be preferable.

0 Kudos
Ocean6irl
1 Copper

Hey brentcrow88...

I'm in the same dilemma as the previous folks.  I'm looking to upgrade my Dell Dimension 4600.  I found the

Galaxy - NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS 512MB DDR2 PCI Express Graphics Card at

Best Buy for $59.99  is this the best card I can get?  I know my system is old, and this will be

the last upgrade I make.  I want to make it the best I can get.  Thanks in advance for your input 🙂

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Osmium

Hey brentcrow88...

I'm in the same dilemma as the previous folks.  I'm looking to upgrade my Dell Dimension 4600.  I found the

Galaxy - NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS 512MB DDR2 PCI Express Graphics Card at

Best Buy for $59.99  is this the best card I can get?  I know my system is old, and this will be

the last upgrade I make.  I want to make it the best I can get.  Thanks in advance for your input 🙂

That one will not fit unless you replace the mainboard. And, it's overpriced.

This is the one you want. And only $40 shipped (with three day shipping).

This should work as well, but it's $75, less $15 via a mail-in rebate. It should be much quicker than the 8400GS.

0 Kudos
Ocean6irl
1 Copper

Ok, just to review then...AGP is faster and better than PCI right?  Also, is 512mb the largest one I can get? 

Thanks,
Melody

0 Kudos
JMICHAEL
4 Beryllium

Yes, AGP is faster and that should be the interface you get versus PCI.  You can get a card with 1GB of memory if you want.  It would seem now that the best AGP cards they have are the HD 4650s HERE.  If you have gaming in mind, then this would be your choice.  If not, then it really does not matter.  I currently have an AGP 6200 in the 4600 and it will still play some older games, but not come close to what the HD 4650 can do.  Also take note that the manufacturer's for the HD 4650 are recommending a 400 watt or greater power supply and yours is only 250 watts.  However, it still will probably work OK as there are reviews of others that put it in there 4600 and it worked fine.

BTW, my 4600 is a 2003 which I believe is the first year they released this model and it has just one AGP slot.  I also had a 2004 model and it had just one AGP slot.  By the 4th quarter of 2004, they changed over to the 4700 with PCI Express.   

• Dell Dimension 4600, P4 2.66 GHZ, 320GB SATA HD, Nvidia 6200, Vista Home Premium 32-bit
  • Dell Optiplex GX280, P4 3.2 GHZ, 80GB SATA HD, Windows XP 32-bit
  • Dell Inspiron 530, Q6600 Quad, 500GB HD, Vista Home Premium 32-bit
  • Custom Build, Q6600 Quad, (2) 500GB SATA HDs, 4GB Ram, EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC, Corsair 650TX PSU, DVD RW, DVD Blu-ray, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Osmium

I dunno ... I've bought budget Coolmax power supplies and they've worked just fine. $25 shipped and probably very similar in quality to OEM units.

0 Kudos
sredd68
2 Iron

I don't know about the other recommendations but I am using a 7950GT 512mb agp card in my 4600.It's a bit pricey for some but I'm satisfied. You also need at least 400w psu. I upgraded my psu along time ago. I think it is now 450 w. I have since bought a XPS 9100 and my kids (8 & 4 yrs old) are now using the 4600 with no problem.

Here 

I own two Dells. My first is a Dimension 4600 that is nothing like it was when first purchased. I've upgraded everything except the motherboard. From the processor to the DVD drives. I even run Win7 Ultimate on it. My new one is a XPS 9100 i7-980x (was 930), Nvidia GTX 650ti(was a 450), 16mb RAM(was 8), 2 Blu-Ray drives running Win7 Ultimate also. I'm loving the new one...the difference between the two is like night and day![:D] In the process of upgrading the 9100 (just up the ram. changed the video card, a Blu ray drive and the processor)...

0 Kudos