Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2013 13:00

Help with Optiplex GX270 beep codes (video inside)

Working on an Optiplex GX270 for someone and getting beep codes when trying to power on. It will power on occasionally, but then it fails to read the drive and won't boot. Already replaced the motherboard due to fried capacitors but I still can't figure this issue out. Video of beep codes below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsTzj8Q-9o8&feature=youtu.be

As you can see, it fails to boot and throws the codes on the first attempt but boots ok on the second attempt (albeit with the boot failure message).

Sometimes the light on the front is green, sometimes it is amber. It is pretty inconsistent. Any help appreciated.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 28th, 2013 18:00

Hi wfujay,

First, I’d suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below and check if the system switches ON.

1. Switch off the computer.
  2. Disconnect the power cable from the wall.
  3. Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
  4. Then connect back all the peripherals and check if the touch screen is working.

Secondly, Dell OptiPlex GX270 comes with diagnostic indicators. If the computer is not starting up you can refer to the diagnostic indicators.

• I’d like to know if you are getting any beep codes. The OptiPlex GX270 system can emit a series of beeps during start-up if the display cannot show errors or problems. These series of beeps, called beep codes, identify various problems. Please let me know how many beeps you get.
  • Also, The OptiPlex GX270 will ship with the Back Panel LED's. The four LED's are labeled A, B, C, and D. These four LED's can exist in one of three states: Off, Amber, or Green. The various combinations of the LED's can be used to diagnose system failures.

Please run the hardware diagnostics on the system by referring to the steps in the link below.

http://dell.to/163MpYs 

Please reply so that we could assist you further.

4 Posts

July 28th, 2013 19:00

Thanks for the reply but, you obviously didn't watch the video I posted. The beep codes are in the video and so are the LED lights on the back of the computer. All of the information you are asking for is already there.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 29th, 2013 09:00

Actually nobody can see.

The video is flagged as private.:emotion-9:

4 Posts

July 29th, 2013 16:00

The video is now public. Sorry about that.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 30th, 2013 11:00

Actually its quite consistent.  Bad Memory or Power Supply and or Bad CAPS on motherboard.

Hard drive is crashed so its not booting.  The Low Slow BEEEEP BEEEEP is Bad Ram.

Given the age of this system the DL2032 Clock Battery should be replaced.

Code

Cause

1-1-2

Microprocessor register failure

1-1-3

NVRAM read/write failure

1-1-4

ROM BIOS checksum failure

1-2-1

Programmable interval timer

1-2-2

DMA Init Failure

1-2-3

DMA page register read/write failure

1-3

Video memory failure

1-3-1
through
2-4-4

Memory modules not being properly identified or used

green
green
yellow
yellow

Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred.

• If you have one memory module installed, reinstall it and restart the computer.
  • If you have two or more memory modules installed, remove the modules, reinstall one module, and then restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module. Continue until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error.
  • If available, install properly working memory of the same type into your computer.

green
yellow
yellow
yellow

A possible BIOS failure has occurred; the computer is in the recovery mode.

Run the BIOS Recovery utility, wait for recovery completion, and then restart the computer.

If the power light is green and the computer is not responding — Check "Diagnostic Lights."

If the power light is blinking green — The computer is in standby mode. Press a key on the keyboard or move the mouse to resume normal operation.

If the power light is off — The computer is either turned off or is not receiving power.

Reseat the power cable into both the power connector on the back of the computer and the electrical outlet.
If the computer is plugged into a power strip, ensure that the power strip is plugged into an electrical outlet and that the power strip is turned on.
Ensure that the electrical outlet is working by testing it with another device, such as a lamp.
Bypass power protection devices, power strips, and power extension cables to verify that the computer turns on.
Ensure that the main power cable is securely connected to the system board.
Ensure that the front panel cable is securely connected to the system board.
Toggle the voltage selection switch on the back of the computer.
If the problem persists, contact Dell.

If the power light is steady amber — The computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist.

Ensure that the microprocessor power cable is securely connected to the system board.

If the power light is blinking amber — A device might be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed.

Remove and then reinstall the memory modules.
Remove and then reinstall any cards.
Remove and then reinstall the video card, if applicable.
Toggle the voltage selection switch on the back of the computer.

Eliminate interference — Electrical appliances on the same circuit or operating near the computer can cause interference. Other causes of interference are:

Power extension cables
Keyboard and mouse extension cables
Too many devices on a power strip
Multiple power strips connected to the same electrical outlet

4 Posts

July 31st, 2013 16:00

When I stated it wasn't consistent, I meant that it didn't boot into the BIOS consistently. For instance, I will get the beeps 10 times in a row and then on the 11th try it will boot (to the failure screen shown in the video).

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 2nd, 2013 01:00

Hi wfujay,

With the diagnostic indicators indication you may consider replacing the Memory and the CMOS battery on the system for issue resolution.

No Events found!