Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2016 09:00

Help

Hi, 

How can I add a serial port to a Optiplex 7040 Micro that I already have onsite?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 8th, 2016 12:00

Appears that an internal serial/parallel port is an option on the 7040 Micro. So you may be able to purchase it directly from Dell Spare Parts and install it yourself, assuming it is user installable. Have your service tag available when you contact Spare Parts.

Alternatively a number of manufacturers make Serial>USB adapters that plug into the serial port on a device and into a USB port on the PC. Make sure it supports whatever version of Windows is running on your PC, especially if a driver has to be installed. I've never used one of these adapters so don't know how successful they are.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 13th, 2016 08:00

You can call Dell Spare Parts 1-800-357-3355 and ask for prices and availability. Optiplex add in card for two PS/2 ports (keyboard/mouse) and one serial port

WN80W = Wistron I/O board with bracket, cable, screw

Serial/PS/2 adapter for the 3020 and 9020 Micro line.

WN80W is the kit number.

KIT = (IO Board, Bracket, Cable, Screw)

Two sub-part numbers=

17P6V Cable Connector

80TKK I/O board

Cable part number on the tag is: 0KG2HH, unfortunately a search does not give any results.

It's a breakout cable with two ps/2 ports (keyboard/mouse) and one serial port as you can see in the picture below. Hope this helps.

No Events found!