This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2015 16:00

How

imag

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 22nd, 2015 14:00

What SATA operation are you using currently?

48 Posts

December 22nd, 2015 15:00

imag

48 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 17:00

91 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 17:00

Thread with accurate info: Please provide a link!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 23rd, 2015 18:00

You have to install clean with ahci or you will get stop 7b  inaccessible boot device. Neither Dell nor Microsoft support "imaging"

48 Posts

December 24th, 2015 04:00

imag

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 24th, 2015 04:00

Wrong absolutely true. 

When you deploy a duplicated or imaged Windows installation, it is required that the System Preparation (Sysprep) tool is used before the capture of the image. Sysprep prepares an installation of Microsoft Windows for duplication, auditing, and customer delivery.

Sysprep is responsible for removing system-specific data from Windows, such as the Computer SID. During installation of Windows, a computer SID is computed to contain a statistically unique 96-bit number. The computer SID is the prefix of the user account and group account SIDs that are created on the computer. The computer SID is concatenated together with the Relative ID (RID) of the account to create the account's unique identifier.

Dell backup and recovery will also fail because the recovery partition is encrypted.

Microsoft does not provide support for computers that are set up by using SID-duplicating/cloning tools other than the System Preparation tool. For example, this includes the following:

If you clone a Windows 8 or 10 image or virtual machine without running sysprep.exe /generalize, P2V and keep the physical computer up and running or create a backup of a computer but keep the original computer running you may experience issues in which push notifications do not work. For example, you may experience the following issues:

• Tile, badge, and toast notifications do not update even though Internet connectivity is available.
  • Apps that rely on RAW notification do not work as expected. For example, you notice significantly reduced functionality in Mail, Calendar, and Messaging.
  • It takes a long time to synchronize changes for roaming and family safety settings.

To resolve these issues, use one of the following methods:

• Configure the computers by using the Sysprep /generalize command, and then deploy the image.
  • Replace the existing user account with a new account. The device identifier is stored as part of the user profile. Each new NTUser account that is added to a computer will receive a new identifier.

91 Posts

December 24th, 2015 11:00

I think I'm having such problems so will redo. You say:

"If you clone a Windows 8 or 10 image or virtual machine without running sysprep.exe /generalize, P2V and keep the physical computer up and running or create a backup of a computer but keep the original computer running you may experience issues in which push notifications do not work"

Do I run just sysprep.exe /generalize or do I need to add ,P2V at the end. of it? I don't get the P2V.

Phil

No Events found!