Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2011 17:00

Inspiron 158 Won't start.....

Had an unexpected power out the other day. No indications of a surge though. Now my 518 won't start. Checked all power. Ran Dell troubleshoots with no results. So now time to look inside. Everything clean. The power supply light on the outside of the case is green when power is present. Once opened I noticed a very small Yellow LED on the upper right corner of the mother board...Had not seen this before...Any ideas?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 20th, 2011 10:00

The LED on the motherboard is normal. Do you mean the Inspiron 518? What color is the PC power button? Are there any beep codes on bootup.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 20th, 2011 10:00

Remove any surge protector (it might have done its job and blown out) and plug into a good power outlet and try to boot. Remove all cards--network, sound, modem, etc.-- except video and try to boot. If it boots add each card one at a time rebooting after each one until you find a failed card. Check any diagnostic lights on the back and look at your manual for interpreting the lights.

6 Posts

July 21st, 2011 23:00

OOOps...518. No color or power at button. No beep codes. Will not even turn on.

6 Posts

July 22nd, 2011 00:00

THX Mary G...Will try this. Hooked to agood known power already...Not the prob. This model does not have diagnostic lights on it except for the power button, and it's not doing anything at this point. I already followed the Dell troubleshooter for this model and no go. I will try all the cards and let you know.

6 Posts

July 23rd, 2011 17:00

Ok...tried all this too. Still no go. I'm getting that "dead processor" feeling.

No Events found!