Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2014 03:00

Inspiron 3647 (Small) not detecting PCIe Compro card

I am attempting to get a PCIe Compro card E850F to work in an Inspiron 3647 (small desktop).

The Compro card is detected and works fine in a Dell Dimension C521 running Windows XP and with a Gigabyte motherboard running Windows 7 64bit. In both of those computers the card appears in the Device Manager under "Sound, video and game controllers" as "VideoMate SAA716X AvStream Video Capture".

However, in the Inspiron 3647 the card does not appear in the device manager. I have tested both the x1 and x16 slots with a sound card (Xonar DX) and this is detected fine.

Using a program called "PCI Scope" I've been able to see that when the Xonar DX x1 PCIe card is plugged into either slot, a device called "PLX x1 Lane PCIe - PCI Bridge" is used to chain the appropriate buses.

For example:

Bus 2h - PLX x1 Lane PCIe - PCI bridge

Bus 3h - PCIe x1 - Xonar DX

When the Compro x1 card is placed in either slot, the Buses appear but are empty and the "PLX" device is not present.

For example:

Bus 2h -

Bus 3h -

The PCIe Vendor strings for the Compro card are: VEN = 1131, DEV = 7164, SUBSYS = E850185B

All of the above testing was carried out on a pristine factory image Windows 7 64-bit with the latest BIOS version A01.

I'm guessing this is a BIOS issue, is there likely to be an update to solve this? Are there incompatibilities with the Haswell PCIe chipset and/or the PLX-Tech PCIe bridge?

Thanks

Ceecee

August 3rd, 2014 16:00

I just received a new Inspiron 3647 (small form) three days ago. I am having the same problem trying to use any of the PCI ports. Unfortunately the card that I want to put in the slot is the only purpose for the entire computer. The card started up just fine in two other dell computers I have (other models). Have you figured out any work arounds or solutions?
No Events found!