Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2016 08:00

Inspiron 3650, why is my AMD R9 360 video card stuttering? Can it be failing?

My computer is an Inspiron 3650.  The components are:

6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.00 GHz)

16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBX2)

AMD Radeon(TM) HD R9 360 2GB GDDR5

And it was new as of July of this year.

1st problem:  While playing Skyrim it went to a blue screen of death and was so locked up that I had to use the Windows OS cd to run an OS repair to get my computer to boot again.

2nd problem:  After that OS repair I used an app to completely remove my AMD drivers, reboot the computer in safe mode, and then I installed the latest drivers from AMD (not the Windows update).  At this point Skyrim, which use to run, stutters and crashes every 30 to 60 seconds.  When it crashes one of two events are logged to the Windows event viewer.  It's either "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" or "Application Tesv.exe has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware"

I ran the Dell diagnostics program and while it says all the test passed the video stress test was showing an FPS of only 2 to 5 frames per second.

BTW, I'm running in 1920x1080

I tried going into the AMD config app and set some special settings just for Skyrim.  I boosted the voltage slightly (up 5%) and dropped the GPU clocking slightly (down 3%) and set the fan to 100% always on.   That worked for about 4 hours.  Every time the GPU temperature got to 70c it would immediately crash.  If I let the fan run on auto then the fan speed is not keeping up with the temperature.  If I set it to 100% manual (always on) it seems to keep the temperature down below 70c.

That was Saturday.  With the exact same settings on Sunday it crashes every 30 to 60 seconds again.  I tried other games and now even Minecraft is stuttering and crashing and that doesn't stress the graphics card anywhere near what Skyrim does.  It seems to be getting worse and worse.

Any advice or insight would be very welcome.  The computer is beyond the 30 day return limit but still within the 1 year warranty.  Is there anything that I should try before working with the Dell warranty department or should I be trying to get a new video card under warranty?

Thank you

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 6th, 2016 07:00

(1) Is there another video card to test in the Inspiron 3650 PCIe x16 slot?
(2) Is there another computer there with a PCIe x16 slot to test the AMD Radeon HD R9 360?

5 Posts

December 8th, 2016 10:00

I don't have either situation available.    A couple of days ago it started working correctly again.  The only thing that happened is that I ran MalwarBytes and MWB said that the Dell Diagnostic program was malware and removed it.    At least for now, it's working again, but I've had it work for a few days before when it suddenly starts stuttering again.  So I'll have to wait and see.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 14th, 2016 04:00

RX460 and GTX1050TI have been tested to work.

No Events found!