Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2012 12:00

Inspiron 530- Reattaching CPU Fan

Hi, I recently unscrewed the cpu fan as the heat sink in my PC was caked in dust.

Fast forward a few days when I'm trying to screw the fan back into place and I can't remember which way the fan screws back on.The fan is a Delta Electronics model, one side has a white label, the other it completely black.

Does it matter which way I put it back on, and if it does, what is the correct way?

Any help would be much appreciated

thanks

105 Posts

June 13th, 2012 13:00

Hi Kelso5,

You can use this link to get the manual for the system you have:

support.dell.com/.../manuals

Please Click on enter the tag and select English and select the HTML document to view the manual.

One more thing:

As you have Loosen the captive screws securing the heat sink assembly. So, while putting it back you must align it to the surface so that those 4 screws go in without any problem.  As per the heat sink specifications the side which is completely black should be facing upwards.

Hope that helps.

Let me know your findings, glad to be of assistance.

Ravi Mohindroo

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

1 Message

June 13th, 2012 18:00

Hi,

The diagnostic page said it was supposed to check fan status but I ran it and 1/2 hour later no specific fan info just a general stement that everything passed. I don't even know if the fan was checked (it wasn't mentioned in the diag list). Does that utility check it or not?

2 Posts

June 14th, 2012 05:00

Thanks for the info Ravi, I've reattached the fan now and it seems to be working fine; the CPU is running around 5 degrees cooler too :)

No Events found!