Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 18th, 2013 12:00

Inspiron 530 stuck at dell screen

Hello fellow dell users,

I sorely need help with my Inspiron 530. After powering up, it won't go past the dell screen. The F2 and F12 buttons don't work(I have tested the usb keyboard on another computer -works fine), i hear a short beep and normal fan noises. Also the blue light that used to flash to indicate that the computer is working with something, does no longer flash after getting to the dell screen. The computer runs windows vista 32-bit.

Things i have tried:

- Booting with only power, screen and keyboard

- Booting with only power and screen

- Held in the power button for 20 seconds with the power chord disconnected, then tried to boot

- Did the CMOS thing where you cover the two bottom pins for 5 seconds and then replacing the cover, then tried booting (read this after a quick google search)

I've also read somewhere that updating the BIOS will help(i have the 1.0.0.15 version) but i don't know how to do that when the computer won't go past the dell screen :P

Thanks in advance for the help.

PS: this has happened once before. The computer was getting stuck at the dell screen. I turned it on and off a few times, and then my sister did the same and the problem was solved.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

July 29th, 2013 14:00

Hi rishi217,

You may try to re-seat the CMOS battery. If re-seating the CMOS does not resolve the issue, then replace it. Also, ensure that BIOS is updated. Here is the link http://dell.to/14uIGS6 -> choose BIOS -> download and install version 1.0.18. You may refer to the Service manual http://bit.ly/Y33AY1.

Note: Before updating BIOS, please ensure:
*No external devices (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) should be connected.
*All other programs should be closed and documents saved.
*System should be connected to UPS to avoid power failure. 

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

July 18th, 2013 12:00

Hi rishi217,

Try the following steps and see it helps.

Open the computer and re-seat the hard drive connector and check if the system is able to boot into BIOS (Tap F2 on start up).

If the above step do not help, then remove the hard drive from the computer and try to boot into BIOS. Then perform BIOS defaults. Please refer to the Manual. Please ensure to follow safety instructions.

7 Posts

July 18th, 2013 13:00

Will try these methods as soon as possible and report back

7 Posts

July 19th, 2013 15:00

Unplugging the hard-drive helped me get into setup. There I noticed that the boot device order had been changed, and hard-drive was nr 2, where "removable disk" was number one. I changed it back, and noticed somewhere else that "Drive A" was a floppy disk drive. I don't even have a floppy disk drive in my computer. How it got there, i don't know, but i changed that setting to "none", reconnected the hard-drive and it booted right up. Thanks for the help DELL-Appu S!! :D

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

July 19th, 2013 15:00

Hi rishi217,

I am delighted to hear that! Feel free to reach out in case you need any assistance in the future.

7 Posts

July 27th, 2013 14:00

Ok so i have encountered a similar problem. For some reason, the BIOS keeps changing the boot order and adds the floppy disk at almost every reboot. I updated the BIOS but it did not solve the problem. I hate opening up the computer almost every time i want to use it. I should add that the time/date keeps resetting to default. Is there a fix to this? or boot straight into BIOS or the boot options everytime? then i can just select the HDD and ignore the mysterious floppy.

Thanks in advance :)

7 Posts

July 29th, 2013 14:00

I went ahead and replaced it. So far it has booted straight up. Thanks for the help :D

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

July 29th, 2013 15:00

Hi rishi217,

Glad to know everything is working fine. Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions in the future.

7 Posts

July 30th, 2013 05:00

Sorry to bother you Appu-S, but the problem is persisting. I cannot imagine where the problem could be.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

July 31st, 2013 11:00

Hi rishi217,

Did you try updating the BIOS as shared in my previous post? If not, please try to update the BIOS of the computer. Then observe the computer for a day or two and share the findings.

7 Posts

July 31st, 2013 14:00

I updated the BIOS to the latest version the first time i got it to boot.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

July 31st, 2013 17:00

Hi rishi217,

Try clearing CMOS settings. Please refer to page# 196 in the manual for detailed steps.

Please share the findings.

No Events found!