Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2010 05:00

Inspiron 530 wont power up

I have a similar problem with my inspiron 530. it wont power up. when i turn it on the amber light comes on and turn blue. the green light in the back comes on and all the fans work. i have gotten it to come on several times by unplugging and pushing the on switch several times, but it wont even do that now. power supply, m/b or "on" switch? or something else? any sugestions would be appreciated. thank you.

2 Posts

November 22nd, 2010 05:00

opps i meant to say the light will not turn blue and power up. thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 22nd, 2010 08:00

shampoo95

Remove all the peripherals from the 530, except the mouse, keyboard and monitor and see if the system boots correctly.

No difference, try the following, if you are comfortable working around computers:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a know working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system, if power supply's fan and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all PCI cards from the system, take out the video card [if applicable], disconnect power & data cables from all drives. 

Reconnect the power cord and  power system on, see if you get a different LED indication on the power button, or 'Beeps'.

No difference, remove the memory from the system and try again.

Still shows no signs of life then you are looking at a motherboard replacement & maybe a processor.

Bev.

3 Posts

November 22nd, 2010 14:00

I spent hours last week with a Dell Inspiron 530 that would power on, beep healthily all fans whirring, then die after 5 seconds. Just as if a ghost was holding in the power switch!. After swapping out PSU, mem, graphics. I discovered a faulty switch. My problem is that the switch checks out well electrically with a meter. I noticed that the voltage on the power switch pins on the motherboard were floating at 2.5volts. And they were floating; between 2-3 volts. I just checked a random motherboard and these pins should be held high (4.6v on the mobo I just looked at). Pressing the switch should pull the signal down. Releasing the switch the volts should be pulled high. On this Inspiron 530 that is not happening. At least not reliably. 

However, (sound of quiet alam bells) my machine was solidly bad until I disconnected the switch block from the motherboard (power led, hdd led and power on/off). I powered it on with a screwdiver and then a switch from a scrap machine and it worked perfectly for 24 hours. I reconnected the original cleaned and tested switch and now it is failing again so it could well be the switch. I will be seeing the machine tomorrow so I will post back.

I appreciate that unless you are a technician there is no easy fix. I note that hdale74 (strats) had a bad switch so this may be a common problem on this model.

No Events found!