Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2009 12:00

Inspiron 530s freezes at post when 4GB (4x1GB) memory is inserted. Works fine with 3GB.

System: Inspiron 530s
BIOS: 1.0.16 (1.0.18 won't work)

SLOT 1: 1GB Samsung  PC2-5300 5-5-5-15  tRC: 20 Voltage: 1.8 V

SLOT 2: 1GB                   PC2-5300 5-5-5-15  tRC: 18 Voltage: 1.8 V

SLOT 3: 1GB Samsung  PC2-5300 5-5-5-15  tRC: 20 Voltage: 1.8 V

SLOT 4: 1GB                   PC2-5300 5-5-5-15  tRC: 18 Voltage: 1.8 V

VGA: Radeon x1650

----------------------------

I recently purchased 2 RAM sticks of 1GB for my system (the non-samsungs). When all 4 DIMMs are in, the computer won't post correctly. It will show the Dell BIOS screen but then just hang there. No beeps, and I cannot enter setup. When I take 1 of the DIMMs out, it will work fine. I have tested both of the new sticks, both by themselves, in every possible slot. It does not seem to be a memory problem, as it works with 3GB and all sticks and slots test fine.

I thought upgrading the BIOs may fix it, but 1.0.18 causes my system not to post at all because of my HDTV. This can be read in more detail here (http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19265195/19475025.aspx)

The only thing I have read is that sometimes a computer won't accept 4 sticks  because it needs more voltage. I am wary of doing this becuase I don't like overclocking, in the past I've fried a few comps.

Could it have anything to do with the tRC values? It's weird that it lets me use 3GB and has no problem with those settings, only when its 4 sticks.

I also read that because 32-bit not using all 4GB has something to do with video memory, could it be because of my xRadeon x1650? Its a 256MB card. I know that it definitely has problems with the 1.0.18 BIOs?

I do know that Vista 32-bit won't use the full range of 4GB, and 64-bit will. However, Vista 32-bit should atleast let me boot up and use what I can get out of it. I am thinking about goign to 64-bit but I think this is more of a BIOs and or dell problem than a OS problem.

Any suggestions?

15 Posts

August 12th, 2009 22:00

Any ideas? 

15 Posts

August 12th, 2009 23:00

I decided to eliminate the possibility of it relating to the PCI express slot so I hooked up a LCD to the onboard VGA and took out the graphics card. I boot once to make sure everything works. I then did the following:

SLOT 1: Samsung
SLOT 2: New Ram
SLOT 3: Samsung
SLOT 4: New Ram

Using the LCD and not the HDTV you can see the monitor gets video signal (green light on monitor) for 1 second and then stops getting video (Yellow light). I then tried the following setup:

SLOT 1: New Ram
SLOT 2: Samsung
SLOT 3: New Ram
SLOT 4: Samsung

It wouldnt boot and I got beep codes. 4 short beeps, continuous. BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP...BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP...BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP. I checked the beep codes for 530's, nothing matched.

I then tried this config:

SLOT 2: 
SLOT 4: 

Boots up fine, no problems. So I then tried this: 

SLOT 2: 
SLOT 4: Samsung

and I got beep codes again. The manual instructs that the order should be DIM 1,3,2,4. So I try this 

SLOT 4:

And it works fine.

-------------------------------------

Has anyone every experienced continuous 4 short beeps? It seems like the New Ram is failing under the same circumstances as Samsung (default ram in machine) except they don't produce beep codes. Whereas Samsung ram does produce beep codes. The weirdest thing is that all memory modules work fine, its just a weird thing with the mobo. Perhaps there isn't enough watts in the PSU or the voltage is off. Or again the different tRC values.

15 Posts

August 13th, 2009 00:00

OKAY some more results here:

SLOT 3: Samsung
SLOT 4: New Ram

This gives just 1 short beep continuously. BEEP...BEEP...BEEP...BEEP.

SLOT 3: Samsung
SLOT 4: 

This will boot up but the screen is all jacked up. Weird lines going through the video and scrambled parts of the screen.

----------------------

When the computer doesn't beep at all but just sits there with no video, the hard drive does spin. This makes me think now that its either related to video + RAM, or the tRC values of my memory.

Does anyone know of a hacked version of 530s BIOs that would let you se thte tRC value of memory?

34 Posts

August 13th, 2009 15:00

Hi paroxsitic,

# In this case just try to update the driver for the graphics card and let me konw

I hope this will fix your problem

15 Posts

August 13th, 2009 17:00

This is one of the first things I had updated. 

-------------

I want to update that I ran memtest86 for 2 hours last night on the 2 new sticks of RAM and had no errors.

I found out that the 4 short beeps continuous is  "Your computer has memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks that your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory in. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard. " or it could also be bad timing.

170 Posts

August 14th, 2009 03:00

paroxsitic,

Looks like you have done your homework. Answered most of your own questions.

Here's my observations.

Your MOBO seems to be OK, runs fine with 2 old sticks and 1 new.

What brand is the new memory?

It seems to be the  tRC differences, since it can handle 1 new memory card but not 2. My guess is its bad timing.

I put 4GB (added 2GB) on my 530s Vista 32 bit and had no problems, only could use 3.3 GB due to the addressing issues with 32bit OS.

It appears to be able to handle 1 memory card with  tRC:20, but not 2 of them, try  putting in 2 memory cards with the closer timings. Maybe return the other 2 if possible.

Not much help,

Good luck,

Dave

15 Posts

August 15th, 2009 15:00

Does anyone have an idea how I can set memory timings in the BIOS or before POST? I know of memset a program that lets you set it after the fact.

1 Message

September 25th, 2009 10:00

Similar problem with upgrading 530s to Bios 1.0.18.   No 1GB cards will work.  Called Dell support with internet connect problem, diagnosed as faulty connection on mother board.    Was advised  to upgrade BIOS from 1.0.5 to 1.0.18.  Upon so doing, system would not post.    OS Vista 32 bit,  with 3 GB memory (1GB x2, 512 MB x2).  Removing 1 GB cards, system will boot with remaining 1 GB memory (512MB x2).   Problem with 1 GB cards direct result of upgrading to new BIOS.  Short story,  after two motherboard replacements, trying 6 different 1GB cards, two visits by technicians,  "india" would finally agree to recognize that upgrade to new BIOS was a problem.  BIOS 1.0.18 will not recognize 1GB memory cards.   Support could not get me back to earlier BIOS system.   Left me with working system with  4X 512 MB memory, less than the 3 GB I purchased with new system. 

By the way, the original internet connection problem was resolved with replacement of the first new mother board. 

Moral of the story: , If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

170 Posts

September 25th, 2009 12:00

Hello wrw,

Sounds strange to me!

I have a 530s with 4x1gb RAM and running on BIOS 1.0.18, no problems.

Also run it on VIsta 32bit, and Win7 64bit, dual boot.

Which MOBO are you using now?

Might be a bad memory stick or connector, what were the 6 1gb cards that were tried? Brand, timings etc.

What is Dell doing about it now?

No Events found!