Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2014 07:00

Inspiron 545 Will not power up without removing the CMOS Battery

I have a Inspiron 545 that has started acting up. If it is powered down or sometimes goes to sleep, it will not power up. Can press the power button and nothing. Sometimes you can hear a little crackle through the speakers and sometimes you can see the fans trying to start. Light on the back of the power supply is on and green. Amber light on the motherboard is on. I tries leaving power unplugged and fully discharged for hours but no avail. Can remove the CMOS battery, wait 30 seconds and replace it. Press the power button and still nothing. But within 10-30 minutes, I will begin to hear crackles through the speakers for about 30 seconds and then the computer will start up. Have to update the BIOS for the date/time but then the computer starts and runs fine. Any ideas what would be the cause of this?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 21st, 2014 16:00

Is the motherboard battery any good?

What color is power button when it won't boot? And is it steady or blinking?

An ailing power supply?

2 Posts

November 21st, 2014 18:00

Yes, I have verified  that the battery is good. Have tested it elsewhere.

The light is out but when I press it, it blinks amber.

No indication that the power supply is ailing. Everything works fine once I do get it powered up

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 22nd, 2014 09:00

If it takes 10 min to start after powering on, that suggests that the power supply is ailing. The only way to know for sure is either have a professional test it or swap in a known working PSU.

No Events found!