Highlighted
8 Xenon

RE: Inspiron 5675 Gaming Power Supply

Jump to solution

The CX750 Cannot support 2.92 BECAUSE the Combined Power on the 3.3v/5v rails is not even 150W let alone 170W.

You cant have max current on all rails and eat your cake too.

On the Dell 875W units this rating goes UP to 225W.  Power supplies are not a single rail with a single specification of WATTS.  On Dell 460W units the combined output is rated at 142W.  The PCI-E slot uses the 3.3v rails for power.  Dell 305W units also have 150W combined on the 3.3v/5v rails. And 22A on the 5v Rail.

This is the Rating on the 750B1

https://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=110-B1-0750-VR

On the CX500 series the same Issue is at play and 5V max is 20A not 25A  The other issue of course is that 5v @ 25A =125W which leaves 5w for the 3.3v rail.

EPS 12v revisions.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

Speedstep, you are absolutely right with everything you say, but it is a collection of mis-information that does not apply.

EPS12V v2.92 is not needed, and does not apply to the Inspiron 5675.

www.smps.us/EPS12V_Spec2_92.pdf

EPS12V Power Supply Design Guide

A Server System Infrastructure (SSI) Specification For Entry Chassis Power Supplies Version 2.92

The Inspiron is not a server. The case holds two hard drives. They might draw 10 watts each if they are old high performance drives, more likely 6 watts for a new power efficient drive. There is a single optical bay. A Blu-Ray when burning might draw 30 watts. So there is maybe 50 watts of power needs from the 5V and 3.3V rails. The SSDs might need a little more.

If the system was a server ( or a full tower workstation) that could hold 8 drives in RAID, then maybe one would want more power on the lesser rails, but that is not what an Inspiron 5675 is or will ever be.

And, also every dell PSU you list fails to meet the EPS spec. EPS 8 pin CPU connection, and the PSUs only supply a 4 pin ATX 12V CPU power cable.  The Dell Motherboards only use a 4 pin CPU connector so again the current ATX 12V connector is fine.

Also, the other half truth you keep repeating is how old the ATX spec is.  Yes it is old, but it has been revised several times.  the often cited ATX12V specification has had multiple revisions, the last in April of 2013 and is detailed in the document below.

https://www.intel.com/content/***/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/power-supply-design-guide.pdf.

version "ATX12V version 2.4" specs live inside version 1.31 of the document listed above, and no-where are the requirements for 150 watts on any combined rail. 

Why? Because this is a desktop specification and there is no requirement to over-build a power supply for a rail that is not to be used. 

So please stop the long misleading posts with pictures and arrows suggesting everyone needs EPS12V v2.92 as it simply is not correct.

Please read up on current power supply needs and modern board design rather than rehashing the same thing over and over.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

And if it's ATX 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 should I go for that over the 2.91, or should i go for the 2.92?

I would not focus on the EPS12V spec, because it is not relevant to a desktop system, it is a server specification.

The Seasonic Focus 850 Gold will work fine in this system, but it still isn't clear to me what you need 850 watts for?

Are you adding a second RX 580? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

I disagree emoticon.Surprise.title the spec on the Focus 850 does not list sufficient power.  EPS12V is referenced because of the reasoning behind making the 3.3v/5v Rails MORE not Less than 150W.  On the Dell 875W unit this goes UP to 225W.  32A on the 5v rails and 25A on the 460W.  These are not Trivial Values.  Hard Disk Drives are using +5V and +12V rail and USB2 are also using the +5V rail at 2.5W per port  5w per usb 3 port and 25W per USB 3.1 if charging a device over USB.

http://www.adexelec.com/pex16ixbman.pdf

https://seasonic.com/product/focus-plus-850-gold/

here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

I disagree emoticon.Surprise.title the spec on the Focus 850 does not list sufficient power.

Yes, you are absolutely correct that the Focus 850 does not provide EPS12V v2.91 or v2.92 spec power

However, the Inspiron desktop does not require EPS12V v.291 or v2.92 spec power.

A modern mini tower, two hard drive desktop does not need that much power  on the 5V / 3.3V rails. The power supply manufacturers know it and are not over building in this area. 

The seasonic focus 850 power supply will easily support the inspiron wtih a pair of Rx580s in it. The reviews of the unit are excellent. 

Saying this again, There is nothing special about the Inspiron gaming desktop where it needs EPS12V server grade power and I would not personally make a PSU purchase decision where this was a requirement, nor would I recommend that it be required.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

The power requirements on those rails go up for more than 2 reasons.

The modern AREA 51  1500w POWER SUPPLY 800GY   80 PLUS GOLD power supply has 180w on the 3.3v/5v combined rails. Lists 25A on the 5v Rail and 20A on the 3.3v Rail.

1 USB3 ports use 5W per port or more up to 25W for USB 3.1   USB2 is 2.5W aka 500ma.  

3.3v is used directly in the 75W for an X16 slot.  75W on 3.3v rails is 22 AMPS .

6 usb ports at 5v  is 30W.  Thunderbolt  USB 3.1 charging is 25W.  Other ports use 5v power such as Display port and HDMI and the SATA power connections.  There are numerous posts where people replace a 305W or 460W or 525W or 850W power supply with a "Bigger" unit based on ONLY the 12V rails and Watts.  And the result is they DO NOT WORK and or They turn on but crash and reboot or have problems waking from sleep.  If there was no need for 3.3v anywhere on the board then the 24 Pin connector would not need 3.3v pins.  Red wires are 5V  orange Wires are 3.3v  Yellow Wires are 12v.   There is only 1 voltage removed over the past 20 years which is the -5v white wire which is now NC as in not connected. Therefore your reference to "modern" is meaningless.

It was never stated as a requirement only a rationale based on engineering specifications  for combined power output.   The same 142W or more is listed as a spec on DELL power supplies.   You wont find that value going down to 130W or 100W or 90W on ANY dell power supply for the 3.3v/5v Rails nor will you see the +5vsb being lower and lower with larger and larger power supplies for the same reason.  3A is minimum.  4A is common and on the larger units its 6A.

http://pcisig.com/specifications/pciexpress/technical_library

here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I plan on late. but i mostly want to get a better, more powerful psu. The  psu, besides being 460 watts, is also not even 80 plus.And has had had multiple problems across many computers, the model # is D460AM-03, it's a pos according to what im seeing all over dell, alienware, and pc forums.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Would the CS750M then work? I want the PSU to properly power everything, while leaving overhead for another card, and ram, possibly a liquid cooler.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

My opinion on the CS750M is it is an average power supply, but the price is not substantially less than power supplies that are excellent.

The Radeon 580 looks to use about 200 watts  ( +/-) so a 750W should be sufficient.

That said, if I had to buy a 750W PSU today, for me or my family I would get the EVGA 750 G2. It is built by Superflower and has excellent reviews, and I'm not going to debate spec's with anyone but it will exceed the needs of anything one might want to put into an Inspiron 5675.

It is on sale today at new egg for $99.99 with a $20 MIR so its 79.99 plus tax and shipping.

I would triple check that the PCI power connectors meet the needs of your graphics cards, or in other workds make sure that if the card needs dual 8 pin PCIe connectors the PSU has enough connectors for the two cards.

And now for my opinion you didn't ask for.  If this was me or my family I would not add a second 580 card to this system. If I needed more graphics power I'd pull the 580, sell it on eBay and replace it with a single GTX 1080ti. This card also needs a power supply upgrade, but a top notch 650W would be sufficient. Again, you didn't ask for this opinion but it is what I would do.

Good luck with whatever choices you make and let us know how it goes.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Well according to Dell, the proper PSU from Dell is =
N1WJD 850w, 240v, APFC, EPA, E-Star, Delta
48Y6D 850w, 240v, APFC, EPA, E-Star, Huntkey

Dell selling it for $250, Ebay has it with cables for around 100. everything on the alienware site, for the Aurora R5, says this is a good switch from the D460AM-03. Dell used the same PSU's between the R5's and the 5675's.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos