Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2017 21:00

Inspiron 5675, adding standard optical disk drive

A couple weeks ago I purchased a new Dell Inspiron PC (tower) 5675. There is a CD/DVD burner with the computer, however, I want and need a second burner. Built into the front panel of the case is a spring loaded door for the second burner to be installed (why else would there be a second door?), however that part is not available, retail. So, I spend an hour and a half on the chat line with a gentleman from India (I think), and he finally passes me off to the next guy who finally gets my CD/DVD burner on order, with the stipulation that it is a Dell refurbished unit. After several attempts I finally get someone who assures me that the proper part is on order. Yesterday my part arrives. There is no way that this burner is meant for the 5675. Today I spent the entire afternoon talking with half a dozen different people from several different departments just to have the final guy tell me there is no such accessory. It looks like it's for a lap top. I must insert here that I very politely asked, twice, if there was someone available that I could talk to and understand. I was polite! The last gentleman I spoke with said "I do speak English" and he hung up. So,. anyone from Dell, what's the next step?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 30th, 2017 04:00

The 5.25" drive bay you're  referring to will take a standard, 5.25" SATA drive.  That and a SATA  cable are all you should need -- as long as the power supply has a free SATA power connector on it.

Example,

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

November 30th, 2017 17:00

Unfortunately, you are mistaken. The front panel opening for the second burner measures 5 3/8 inch (13.7mm) the standard burner case is 5 7/8 (14.8 mm). No way will that fit. What I may be missing here is that may be some sort of kit that can be used. The opening in the front panel is already set up with the "open" button and spring loaded door. By the way, I spent well over an hour on the Newegg site and didn't find anything that (I believe) will work. Seems a shame to spend this kind of money on this computer and not be able to purchase peripherals. 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 1st, 2017 07:00

The Inspiron 5675 is currently only sold with the slim optical drive.

Page 31 shows the slim optical drive and page 36 shows the standard sized optical drive.

December 2nd, 2017 06:00

Thank you, Chris M. You have been most helpful. I did find my way to the web site you referred me to and found valuable information, whereby I set out looking for the proper optical drive and a part number. Much to my dismay, in the end, I was told there is no such thing for the 5675. You seem to be the only person that is knowable on the 5675, so maybe you can shed a little more light on this subject. Or have I reached the end of the line? Thank you... 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 3rd, 2017 14:00

Although the manual does give the instructions for adding the standard size optical drive, currently, the 5675 does not list a Dell part number for a standard size optical drive. Why, because we are only selling it with the slim optical drive. But in theory, any retail optical drive should work.

No Events found!