Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 3rd, 2013 22:00

Inspiron 570: Need a new fan and heatsink for new processor

Hello,

I recently purchased the AMD x4 Phenom 965 BE, without, the stock fan because it is my understanding that Dell has done something with the backplate that makes it differ from other AM3 motherboards. While the system does run with the new processor and the fan that was currently in the machine, it stays at about 50 Celsius while idling, so I went ahead and put the old processor in for the time being.

So really what I need are some suggestions as to what fan/heatsink I need to get. I've done some looking, but I'm not sure what to get as I don't know what backplate type I need. I don't really want to have to change the backplate unless completely necessary.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 4th, 2013 10:00

Hi hcard,

Did you already see this thread?

50°C I would not consider too hot. What about during process-intensive activities?

3 Posts

January 4th, 2013 11:00

Thank you for showing me that.

The CPU quickly jumps to 60 is I have one too many applications open, and playing a low intensive game gets it up to 70. After like 10 seconds of running prime95, it went to 80. Plus, the current fan sounds like its about to explode.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 4th, 2013 11:00

You can use an Intel Socket 775 heatsink in conjunction with spring-dampened screws like those sold with the Thermalright 775 Bolt-thru kit. It's best to get one with metal feet, although that's not absolutely necessary.

A stock Intel 775 quad-core cooler may be a good choice as it's quiet and has a copper core for better cooling.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 5th, 2013 04:00

I would just verify you're hearing the CPU fan and not the video card fan.

893 Posts

January 5th, 2013 09:00

You are my customer! Welcome to Phenom II x4 965 BE club. Since you already got this processor, you really trying to get the most from your 570! Am I correct? In order to control temperature in original case you would have to remove CPU backplate and Instal something very strong. Unfortunately I am on iPhone right now, so within next 12 hours you going to get a lot of info. Fan (CPU COOLER)would have to come from Amazon, also you would have to change exhaust fan as well. Now, I have a few questions so that I can provide correct information. First, what is the purpose of your upgrade? Second, your budget, sky is the limit - meaning what ever it takes to make 570 run as fast as possible, or something else? Third, are you planning to upgrade your video card and RAM and HDD? And last question, how can you describe yourself in terms of PC upgradability literacy? Novice (oh my God I don't know what am I doing), proficient ( I need some explanations) or expert (just show me the WAY)?

I am glad to help you, just take a look at my signature, yes it is right - I overcklocked Inspiron 570! And you can as well.

P. S. Maximum temperature for this processor is 62C, half second spikes above not so bad, 80c - you are about to fry your processor and motherboard together, by the way, motherboard has temperature censor as well, and it is usually at least 20C higher then CPU! So stop what you are doing, or you start a fire!

3 Posts

January 5th, 2013 12:00

Thank you for your response. I'm am upgrading to sort of "bridge the gap" between this computer and the one that I will next build, some time in the future. I got the 570 before I really knew or understood what PC building was, however in less than a year I had a desire to build a new PC, but I lacked the sufficient funds, so I decided that I would upgrade this one. I did a bit or research which lead me to find the x4 Phenom 965. Along with it, I upgraded the power supply and put a GIGABYTE GEFORCE 650 in it with 2gigs of video RAM. My main goal here is to make it the best gaming PC I can with the parts available. I know a good bit about the ins-and-outs of PC building, but I am not an expert by any means. Upgrading my RAM is next, once again, when I get the money. If it is necessary to remove the backplate, I will do so however I have read that it is glued onto the motherboard, and I'm worried about the difficulty required to do so.

As far as budget goes... I understand the importance of buying quality parts, however I can't spend too much. The heatsink and fan would need to be in the $25-$35 range if possible and from what I understand, case fans aren't too epensive.

I took out the x4 Phenom 965, don't worry. I've got the stock dual-core in there right now, and I've been storing the quad-core in the box it came in for the time being.

893 Posts

January 5th, 2013 17:00

I am sending you PM, please check you your inbox and make me your friend - this will make our communication a bit easier.

893 Posts

January 6th, 2013 01:00

something got to my mind - if you change case for larger one there would be more choices in cooling and ventilation, money wise, it would cost you 40-50 USD and a few more fans if you decide to take your PC to extremes. The case situation had to be decided first - larger case mean larger CPU cooler and larger fans, I went by optimizing original case first and after I realized that I reached the limits of the original case, I moved into larger case. The problem is - I got a lot of parts from small case, painful waste of money, would be enough to get better video card for me. So, if you decide to go larger case, it is better to do it in the beginning. 

P.S. Check your PM and setup email notification for inbox only. Where geographically you live, USA (most of purchases has to be done online, so I would at least know which seller to advice)? And approximately what is your regular temperatures are like in the summer? I live in Los Angeles California, and our summer is really hot, so I had to do really good job with the cooling of my Inspiron.

893 Posts

January 12th, 2013 17:00

I did not hear anything from you, how things are going. I am currently helping others with similar situation so I will provide link to the second page of the post, please look at this, as this is applicable to you as well. If you think about overclocking your Inspiron you have to buy different cooler and you must change your case!.

893 Posts

January 16th, 2013 13:00

Above provided link is updated...

No Events found!