Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 5th, 2012 16:00

Inspiron 570 - the best video card and cooling solutions

Ok. I asked some questions before, got some answers, now the last 2 questions.

Given my specs. Processor AMD Athlon II x2 250 ---- can upgrade to AMD Athlon II x4 640 (same socket AM3) if desired (per Dell-Chris M note), PSU ok to upgrade to 500-550 watt. Question regarding video card. Which one my MOBO can handle without becoming a bottleneck, power supply is not the question. Another problem is video card and processor cooling - Inspiron 570 is simple closed box without any significant vents, without processor shroud to direct hot air from the case, so which cooling upgrade I can use here (processor and video card). I am afraid that I would have to drill my case on the side (but not now)...

I can see that majority people here are using ATI cards, I hope to hear some Nvidia suggestions as well. I read somewhere here that there could be problem to run some games with 4200 chip and Radeon PCI card running together (4200 chip can not be disabled) - Nvidia comes handy here, chip can be disabled in this case.

Appreciate in advance for any suggestions.

29 Posts

January 9th, 2012 10:00

Pretty much all aftermarket heatsinks will have a changeable fitment, with the normal lever fitting for AMD and the plastic 'push and twist' for Intel. The particularly heatsink i bought is an Akasa Venom Pico which is inexpensive and functions very well due to it having a 90mm fan and fitting perfectly in these cases.

Here: www.ebay.co.uk/.../300613129609.

The graphics card is an XFX manufactured 6750 and fits perfectly leaving ample space to access your SATA connectors. www.ebay.co.uk/.../300604063412. Although the card pictured in this sale is a single slot with DVI, VGA and HDMI - its actually the one i bought which is infact the dual slot with two DVI ports, display port and HDMI.

Hope this helps.

893 Posts

January 5th, 2012 18:00

Oops. Found that according to this thread I can not use dual slot card "keep in mind Any card MUST BE single slot.  2x wide cards will not fit" is this correct?

This can make my life harder or easier.

My Mobo first.

Now is this 6670 card (not requiring PSU upgrade from 300 watt) considered single slot or dual slot? ASUS HD 6670

And those 2 most likely are dual ones (both need PSU upgrade): ASUS HD 6850

ASUS GTX 560 Ti

Question is Why can not fit? Can someone explain please. I like the cooling part of those cards. Otherwise, how to keep them cool?

Appreciate in advance for any comments and suggestions.

3.7K Posts

January 6th, 2012 05:00

I use the ATI HD 5670 in my 570, and it will run off a Dell stock 300w PSU. You can get any type of ATX type PSU into those systems, if want to upgrade yopur PSU. As for the cards, single slot or duel slot will fit, bear in mind that the duel slots will take up 2 spaces, and some cards with bulky fans will also take up a lot of space.

893 Posts

January 6th, 2012 07:00

Thanks for reply, if Dual is ok as long as it fits. What about bottleneck? Say for an example - HD 5970 - is not going to function to full extent in my 570, so the question is, in the Graphics Card Hierarchy where I should stop (how high can I go), because the MOBO will create bottleneck for my video card? 

There is a limit of my MOBO, it is not clear where is it?! For Processor the limit is AMD Phenom II x4 945 (seen in forum somewhere), how about Video Card?!

Anyone one have any ideas?!

Appreciate in advance for any help, suggestions and ideas.

29 Posts

January 6th, 2012 09:00

I have an HD6750 in my 570 which is a dual slot card and it fits perfectly. Cooling is also very efficient, quiet and i can run it off the standard 300 watt PSU (although mine is the first i've seen to have a PCI-E cable).

CPU cooling will always be complicated due to the way the heatsink mounts to these boards. Check out this picture of my new heatsink which was fitted using an Intel attachment and a bit of customisation. My Athlon triple core now idles at 18 degress!

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad107/ali69734/Image164.jpg

893 Posts

January 8th, 2012 15:00

Thanks for nice reply.

Can you please save me from "creating the wheel" and tell me which Intel attachment you used for processor heatsink (or both, because my heatsink looks different), because I am planning to upgrade my processor from Athlon II x2 250 to Phenom II x4 945. Also, during summer my room ambient temperature rising to 30-33 C, so what ever is useful to make my PCs cool is applied. By the way which video card you used?

Thanks again.

29 Posts

January 9th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

I used the supplied intel mounts which came with the heatsink and removed the plastic tabs used to lock it in place. The next task was to find some screws that had the correct size thread to fit the motherboard, which were accompanied by some washers to prevent the screws slipping through. It was either the inner or middle position i screwed through (basically the mounting dimensions on the board which was 70mm or 75mm squared). Then its simply a case of screwing the heatsink in place (not forgetting the thermal compound). Tighten according to feel but don't over tighten. That is pretty much it, doesn't sound great but its very secure and the cooling is certainly improved.

14 Posts

January 9th, 2012 04:00

if want to upgrade yopur PSU. As for the cards, single slot or duel slot will fit, bear in mind that the duel slots will take up 2 spaces, and some cards with bulky fans will also take up a lot of space.

893 Posts

January 9th, 2012 08:00

Thanks

A bit more info please. which heatsink you used - there many Intel ones overthere, and I like the simplicity of yours.

Also, which Video card you used. I look through many of them, however most, if not all 6750 are too long, and yours on picture is about 6.5-7" inch/170 mm long (distance to heatsink it covers is about 6 inches, yours covers half - total length as about 6.5 inches)! What model, or manufacturer is yours? Appreciate for numbers. I measured motherboard - SATA connectors are about at 7.5 inch/195 mm distance, most "good" Video cards are covering SATA connectors in my application... I sent request to MSI for detailed measurements of 550 TI card which might fit, waiting for their response.

Thanks for watching over this post.

Appreciate in advance for any more info.

893 Posts

January 9th, 2012 12:00

Found your card here,  at XFX site, if anyone looking (there are 4 choices, 2 dual and 2 single, on this site). Right now I am getting ready for MSI 550 TI, I made exact paper copy 1:1 scale of this card - looks like it is fitting, now will try to buy from the local electronic store if they have a few weeks return policy - if not fit. I heard many horror stories about ATI drivers (long time ago I had some too with 1600 PRO), this explains my attempt to stick NVIDIA card. As soon as video card question out of the way - next is processor. Thanks for the links, helps a lot. Wish me luck.

Thanks for suggestions.

893 Posts

January 17th, 2012 15:00

Finally

MSI 550 TI OC is installed and working fine. It covers lower heatsink, however there is some room in between card and sink. SATA connectors not covered. There is a problem with back door alignment - so I had to bent case frame pins there, no problem. Also, Installed Carsair 600 watt PSU, installation went fine except similar problems with case - had to bend some case parts, and deal with extra long cables/wires. Temperature is 29-33 C at idle, compare to 39-41 for my old 8800 GT in XPS Gen 3, not bad.

Next is processor, will start new thread.

Thanks for suggestions everyone.

No Events found!