Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

March 13th, 2016 15:00

Inspiron 620 Desktop wont POST

I have a Dell 620 Desktop that has been running well for awhile now but when returning from vacation the compute will not start.  The power supply was replaced a few months ago and a new graphic card added, and added a wireless networking card but otherwise all stock.

When I try to turn on the computer, the fans will come on, the amber light on the key board is lit, and the power button is a solid white.  There are no beeps and nothing display's on the screen, in fact the monitor will go to into low power mode as it isn't getting a signal.

I have tried the following, one item at a time...

1) replaced CMOS battery, did CMOS reset

2) ensured power cables from PSU to everything are well connected and secure

2) removed memory (get expected repeating double beeps), then replaced one stick. 

3) remove new graphics card and went back to on board video with a different cable

4) removed mouse, all drives, wireless card so nothing attached other than keyboard

Anything thoughts on what else I should try?

March 13th, 2016 22:00

Hi Pontifexrex, 

Thanks for writing to us. 

Nice you tried almost all the troubleshooting we can think of.

How about another monitor or this monitor  on another machine just in case. 

If the monitor is ruled out, suspecting motherboard to be faulty.

REGARDS

March 14th, 2016 09:00

I'm really sure it isn't the monitor but it is easy enough to check.  I'll also swap out the PSU just to be sure.

Is there a positive test that can be done to validate the it is the motherboard or is it just the last item standing and the only thing it can be? I haven't had a motherboard go bad except when it was obvious such as a connector messed up or leaking capacitors, neither of which apply here.

March 16th, 2016 20:00

Hi, nice to hear from you. There is no definite way to test the motherboard alone. Usually based on symptoms and post troubleshooting one by one the parts are ruled out.
Usually a solid white light and no display is either a faulty display or faulty GPU or a faulty onboard video connector. Do keep us posted post you swap psu and try another monitor

March 17th, 2016 22:00

Hi We are awaiting your response still

March 18th, 2016 12:00

Well, this had an unexpected conclusion...

I tried it with a different monitor...no difference (as expected).

Then I switched out the power supply.  Initially I got a beep message that said that the clock battery was dead...thought this was odd since I had just changed it so gave it a minute rebooted and the system came back up.  

Decided that it was unlikely that my almost brand new power supply was dead so switch back to that one. Everything came up fine.  

So, it looks like I had a St. Patrick's Day miracle since the computer went from complete dead to completely working with no changes.

I had checked all of the power connections multiple times while trouble shooting so the best I can come up with is that I had some dirty contacts in one of the power coupling that got cleaned up with all of the connecting and disconnecting.  I had cleaned the contacts on the other components (well did the pencil eraser thing) but not with the power connectors.  Either that or it is going to fail again in a few weeks.  

Thanks for the help

March 18th, 2016 21:00

Hi, Nice to hear from you. Glad to hear system is working fine.
Have a good one.

No Events found!