Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 25th, 2016 16:00

Inspiron 620 Spec questions

Got a couple of questions regarding my Inspiron 620.

Make and Model of the Mobo?

PUS watt level?

Can the Mobo be replaced with a 3rd party, in the same tower?

Recommendations for replacing the PSU, RAM, Processor, and Video?

I have the i5 2320, 8gb Ram, and AMD 6450.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Make and Model of the Mobo?

Dell proprietary Inspiron 620 board.

PUS watt level?

300W

Can the Mobo be replaced with a 3rd party, in the same tower?

The board is a standard size but the front-panel wiring is proprietary.  You'll either need to do some on the fly rewiring or replace the case.  Also note that he stock Dell heatsink assembly will not fit an aftermarket board - you'll need a new one if you change the board.

Other consideration: if you replace the board, you no longer have a Dell system, meaning Windows won't activate.   Budget for a retail copy of Windows if you change the mainboard - you're effectively building a new system.  Microsoft won't activate OEM copies of Windows on aftermarket boards.

Recommendations for replacing the PSU, RAM, Processor, and Video?

I have the i5 2320, 8gb Ram, and AMD 6450.

Essentially you will be building an entirely new system - if you take this route, reuse the keyboard, mouse,monitor and drives - everything else (case, power supply, heatsink, fans, and whatever else you want to upgrade -- gets replaced).

4 Posts

Can I keep the processor? and stick that on another board with a new heatsink and fan?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

If you're willing to look for used boards, perhaps - this is a second-generation Core CPU, and I don't think you'll find anything current that will take that CPU -- there have been four generations of CPUs released since yours was current.

4 Posts

So... Build a new computer (excluding drives, cables, and accessories) or stick with what I have?

4 Posts

May 25th, 2016 17:00

I was afraid of that, thanks for all your help, I had no clue about the propriety of the wiring, mobo and case of Dell. Now I have another avenue to look into.

No Events found!