Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 9th, 2016 15:00

Inspiron 660s any one know anything?

Greetings from the Great Country of TEXAS,

My system is under warranty yet cannot find anyone that knows about the BIOS or UEFI on my system.  Keep getting referred to Premium Support and they do not know if I can use the UEFI BIOS setup for my desktop with Win7 SP1 x64 Home Premium.  Even attempted a chat session and NO HELP.!

Anyone know the answer?

Excuse me as I forgot to mention, on the Desktop Forum there is not a selection for "New Post" and could not post there .

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

July 9th, 2016 15:00

Hello!  I took a quick look at the manual for your Inspiron 660s and according to it, you do not have UEFI but just a regular BIOS. That being the case you can't use UEFI.  Was there a reason you wanted to use UEFI?  Not that I'm an expert but from what little i've read, UEFI doesn't do much with Windows 7.  You may even have to have PRO to get any benefits but I could be wrong.  I think all you would get is GPT hard drive file thingy (my brain just shut down sorry) instead of MBR.  The file system remains the same at NTFS.  You can't use SecureBoot or anything else that I know of.

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

July 9th, 2016 16:00

Your welcome!  Someone else may chime in as well with different information.  The only answer I can come up with regarding your other systems is UEFI is somewhat newish in the PC world (Apple has been using it forever), so its possible when you bought the 660s the series was before Dell implemented UEFI in their systems?  Anywho have a good weekend!

45 Posts

July 9th, 2016 16:00

I have two (2) Dell Inspirons 1564/w Win7 Home Premium SP1 x64 systems and a OptiPlex 960 with Win7 Professional all using the UEFI why not this Inspiron 660?

I guess that is the final answer on my issue, Thank YOU for reading and doing the research.  NO one working for DELL could give me this answer.

No Events found!