Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 12th, 2011 17:00

Installing a Printer

I'm trying to install a printer (Epson cx4900) on my Dell 8400 and my problem is this -

The first operation when i put in the printer operating dics in it loads the scanner driver and at this point everything goes ok.

Then it starts to load the printer drivers. After waiting for about 1 minute while this is happening it this tells me plug in the usb cable into the PC (Printer at this stage is turned on) while it recognizes the printer and this will take 2 minutes, at the same time i pluged in the usb cable into the PC a small window appeared on the task bar saying new hardware found.

After waiting about 2 minutes the Hardware Wizard Window comes up telling me the following -

Cannot install this hardware

There was a problem installing this hardware

Epson Stylus cx4900

An error occured during the installing of the device

The RPC server is unavailable

So what is a RPC server and what is my next step to resolve this problem.

I did try to load the printer onto another PC (Non Dell) and loaded ok.

Regards

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

October 12th, 2011 19:00

Always include the version of Windows in your posts!

The RPC (Remote Procedure Call) service should be started and its Startup type should be set to Automatic.

For Windows XP:

a)      Click Start>Run and  type in: services.msc     -then click OK

b)      In the Services window, find  Remote Procedure Call and right click it to select Properties.

c)      Under the  General tab make sure the Startup type is Automatic and the Service status says Started.

d)    If you have to change the RPC Startup type to Automatic, be sure to reboot the PC so RPC service will start.

Now try installing that printer again.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 12th, 2011 18:00

Hi Cortinagt,

Let me suggest you try posting in the Printers forum.

Good luck!

3 Posts

October 13th, 2011 22:00

RoHe, i have now a happy printer, thanks for the info.

cortinagt

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

October 14th, 2011 10:00

:emotion-21:

No Events found!